Hot Topics

Best company to extract data from damaged HD?

buel 20:03 14 Jan 2020

Hi all. I have a friend who has an external hard drive with all his family photos on that stopped working a while ago. A tech at the college he works at took a look and said that the ‘lack of whirring’ noise meant that it was physically damaged so my friend would need to use a professional company. My friend said he’d been quoted £385 but is this normal? Thanks, all.

buel 17:23 15 Jan 2020

Bumpy bump?

Jollyjohn 10:22 16 Jan 2020

£385 sounds reasonable to me. I paid £275 about 8 years ago just for some documents to be recovered.

alanrwood 10:56 16 Jan 2020

Data recovery is always an expensive business.

One remote shot is to look on eBay or similar for an exact identical drive. A technician could maybe remove the circuit board from it and fit it to the faulty drive. That MIGHT cure the problem but no guarantee. It may simply be that the internals of the drive have given up in which case changing the circuit board won't help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)