Benefits of setting up home network

YinHoNg 08:42 29 Mar 2004

I'm thinking of linking up my two computers but i'm not sure whether it will be of any worthy benefit to me in the end.

could anybody describe to me any pros and cons of settting up a home network?

Diodorus Siculus 08:47 29 Mar 2004

Among many other benefits:

you can share internet connection (Best with BB)

you can share peripherals

all documents can be shared and emails etc can be synchronised

Diodorus Siculus 08:48 29 Mar 2004

Among many other benefits:

you can share internet connection (Best with BB)

you can share peripherals

all documents can be shared and emails etc can be synchronised

But if you are aking, it might suggest that you don't really need it. What is your current setup?

Diodorus Siculus 08:49 29 Mar 2004

click here for a good guide to the process.

YinHoNg 09:26 29 Mar 2004

Diodorus Siculus:What is your current setup?

sorry i don't understand.

YinHoNg 09:35 29 Mar 2004

Just read that website you gave me. My current setup is like the first description of internet-----cable/dsl modem-----computer.

Except i have a 56k modem- will option 3 work with this?

If not, is it possible to get two computers to just share the internet connection and nothing else by adding an extra port in my phone line and just connecting a wire from the ports to the two computers?

YinHoNg 09:36 29 Mar 2004

p.s. what is the difference between an ethernet connection and a usb connection?

JerryJay 10:02 29 Mar 2004

YinHoNg, add another port in phone as described by you is not possible.

For your situation, the main benefit of Homenet is internet sharing. Network two PCs with one connect to Internet, another PC access Internet through the one connect to net.

Ethernet connection: specially for Lan (local area network) nothing else. USB is connection to connect peripherals (e.g. printer, scanner, modem etc) to PC. If you need to use usb for lan connection, you need an adaptor.

YinHoNg 13:51 29 Mar 2004

JerryJay, are u sure that its not possible to add another port in the phone line?

I thought that you could buy phone ports with multiple 'slots', e.g. you could connect one slot to your modem, and one to your actual phone. I've got a two 'slot' at home. I thought that maybe i could buy ones with perhaps 3 or 4, thus using the extra one to connect a modem to my other computer.

so is this possible?

JerryJay 14:19 29 Mar 2004

Yes, you can add more phone port for other computer to connect modem with.

But you cannot use two PCs at the same time. Just like you cannot make phone call when you use internet.

How much you paid for internet usages per month? The broadband is not as expensive as before. You maybe find a package with a price slightly more than dialup package.

YinHoNg 20:37 29 Mar 2004

Oh thank you jerry jay.... i didn't realise that i couldn't use both pcs at the same time.

I really wanna get broadband too but i need my 56k dial up for another personal use.

So what other options do i have if i wanted both computers to share the internet connections?

and how much would the average broadband connection cost?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?