Basic router info needed

ton 17:00 30 May 2005

I am new to routers and networking etc. I'm thinking about buying a Netgear DG834GT router.

My plan is to have the main PC wired to the router and a laptop to connect through wireless.

My question is - Would the main PC have to be switched on for the laptop to connect to the internet?

powerless 17:08 30 May 2005

No it would not.

As long as the router is up and running any computer can connect to it.

ton 17:34 30 May 2005

Thanks Powerless, I assume then that the router would have its own power supply (not like my ASDL modem, which is powered through USB).

Another question - Would the main PC (connected by cable) need a card of any description? We don't want the PC and the laptop talking to each other, just to use the same broadband connection.

powerless 19:57 30 May 2005

You have read the specs for the router haven't you?

* Five products in one, it combines an ADSL modem...*

The whole router will be powered from the mains.

The PC would need a NIC click here [you might already have one] to be connected to the router through some cable.

Taff36 20:49 30 May 2005

Much less hassle. click here What do you think Powerless?

Taff36 20:57 30 May 2005

This little bundle is about £80 click here and includes a 4 port router/modem with ADSL filter, a USB wireless adapter and some pretty vague set up instructions but we can solve the latter! It was available from PC World for £69.99 last month but they soon put it back up £10.

ton 01:38 31 May 2005

Thanks all. Things are a bit clearer now.

ton 19:43 04 Jun 2005

Just thought I'd add that the router (Netgear DG834GT) is now set up and working well.

I can recommend this router for ease of setting up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?