Bad sectors in harddrive - need a new harddrive??

barnettgs 17:37 19 Feb 2003

I am looking at my friend's 2 yrs old PC mainly due to not booting up. I just found out that his pc's 10 Gb harddrive has bad sectors of only 700Kb after using scandisk so I reinstall windows myself. It has booted up no problems and running fine as usual but is it necessary to buy a new harddisk? After all, it runs fine even though there are still 700Kb bad sections on existing harddisk. Advice will be much appreciated, thanks

Gary

Diemmess 17:50 19 Feb 2003

Assuming you reformatted the HD, did the bad sectors show during Formatting or was it some other software that decided you had bad sectors?

If it was formatting that disclosed the problem then it may be true. If not it might be a spurious warning and could be ignored.

barnettgs 17:57 19 Feb 2003

I have scandisked it 2 times over including one surface scan and formatted it afterward. It still shows up bad sectors.

Diemmess 18:10 19 Feb 2003

So you have bad sectors!.......A gamble now and I wouldn't rest easy knowing it can only get worse.

Making regular total backups by image files assumes you have another HD to store them. It is anyone's guess how long you have before the HD refuses to function. It might be years or .......

Sorry, only you can make that judgement...... The HD is probably still under warranty though at 2 years it is going to be difficult to argue that with so little wrong it should be replaced........... On the other hand it must be worth enquiring. HDs usuually have a manufacturer's 3 year warranty.

Diemmess 18:11 19 Feb 2003

So you have bad sectors!.......A gamble now and I wouldn't rest easy knowing it can only get worse.

Making regular total backups by image files assumes you have another HD to store them. It is anyone's guess how long you have before the HD refuses to function. It might be years or .......

Sorry, only you can make that judgement...... The HD is probably still under warranty though at 2 years it is going to be difficult to argue that with so little wrong it should be replaced........... On the other hand it must be worth enquiring. HDs usuually have a manufacturer's 3 year warranty.

Ironman556 18:17 19 Feb 2003

It sounds like the errors are definately on the drive. The safest thing to do would be to put a new hdd in. If there's not anything important that can't be backed up, then I'd probably wait & see what happened. Either way you'll probably want to backup any important files. I'm not sure how long a drive is expected to last once bad sectors start apperaing though.

Ironman556 18:24 19 Feb 2003

If you put a new drive in you could keep the 2nd as temporary data storage, download drive etc. maybe even use it to install some unimportant programs to. That way you'd still get the use of the drive until it gives up - unless it can be swapped under warranty.

barnettgs 18:27 19 Feb 2003

Thanks, I thought it may be okay having a bad sectors of only 700Kb but I just realised it is a gamble to carry on using it. I understand your points.

So I know existing HDD is only 10GB and that new 20Gb HDD costs around £50 at online shop and a peace of mind! :)

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?