backup and restore wizard

maarraa 23:04 08 Nov 2004

windows sp2 suggested backing up data prior to installing sp2. all my reading tells me my windowsxp home edition should have the backup and restore wizards. however i can't find it anywhere! i have tried start, all programs, accessories, system tools - whereupon i should find backup - BUT not in my case! i wanted to backup the data on to cds. there was also mention about "if wizard disabled then click on welcome tab then choose restore wizard"- sorry cant find it. can anyone explain. should i have it? do i need to down load it etc? the windowsxp home edition came installed in the computer when i bought it from evesham 2 years ago. thanks

VoG II 23:09 08 Nov 2004
  Carpigiani 23:10 08 Nov 2004

If you don't have the Windows XP CD /click here

woodchip 23:14 08 Nov 2004

It may not be installed, Go to Add Remove in Control Panel and load it through the Windows Setup icon. It's not much use other than if you have another Hard Drive or Partition that you can Restore from

maarraa 23:21 08 Nov 2004

what do i do if ican't find the cd-rom?

woodchip 23:26 08 Nov 2004

You would be better going out and buying Acronis True Image, you can then backup to CDRW or CDR you cannot do that with MSBACKUP

woodchip 15:52 09 Nov 2004

MS backup creates one big backup file that you cannot split. i.e. it will not fit a CD. You cannot create a backup to the same partition,unless you create a folder on that partition and tell backup not to backup that folder.

woodchip 11:30 10 Nov 2004

Get "Acronis True Image" from PCworld and you can create a Image of your disc as it is now, onto several CD's then if you have any problems you can restore your computer to the state that it is when you created the Image. You only then have to do incremental backup as you have just said above. But the Image can get you out of problems, like if you get a virus or Software problems, you can then restore your computer fully as above in about 15mins

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?