Backup Query

gartoye 16:47 18 Aug 2007

Hi, system specs below. I had RAID0 with no backup until last week when the drives somehow became corrupted & I failed to boot to XP. Lesson learnt I have bought some backup hardware & software, I have browsed the manufacturers sites & just have a few queries regarding backing up.

I bought a Maxtor 250gb SATA drive & Acronis True Image Home 10 off ebuyer. I reinstalled XP onto the existing RAID0 array & added the new drive as a separate additional drive E. I used fdisk to prepare the new drive as FAT32 & XP to convert it over to NTFS (didnt know how else to do it). So I now have a backup drive of 232gb capable of backing up my entire system, I put Acronis on & have done a backup to E: drive & created a recovery disc.

Please advise if this is all I need to do, I can see my backup file in the E: drive in My Computer, I have also configured Acronis to use no compression & figure I now have an exact copy & if the RAID0 fails again I can just run the recovery disk & load in my last backup off E: drive. Is this how it works? Will it know where to put everything on the individual RAID drives? I want to start putting everything back on & would appreciate a bit of reassurance, thank goodness I have all my discs & passwords etc. Many thanks.

Intel Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA965P DS3
x2 Seagate Barracuda 80gb SATA (160gb RAID0)
Maxtor Diamondmax 250gb SATA (backup)
x4 512mb 667 Corsair Value Select

silverous 17:53 18 Aug 2007

How about doing a small test to get some reassurance i.e. have a go at restoring some individual files?

gartoye 18:37 20 Aug 2007

Thanks for the response silverous, I went to do this but then realised what I needed to do was set up a Secure Acronis Zone on the new hard disc & activate the recovery manager to write something to BIOS, I now have the backup hidden away in this secure zone & can acces the recovery manager by hitting F11 on bootup if required, many thanks all sorted.

gartoye 18:37 20 Aug 2007

Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?