Backup My 'C' Drive To External Hard Drive

Henmin 00:09 22 Dec 2004

Hi Gurus,

Can anyone tell me which is the best method to do a Backup of my 20GB 'C' Drive to my 120Gb Archos QDisk External Drive.

Thanks

Henmin

Jeffers22 00:16 22 Dec 2004

If you want a fully restoreable image you will need to use something like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

woodchip 00:22 22 Dec 2004

I agree with the Above but you can get a way with using MS backup. the only thing is if your computer goes down you have to load the Operating System before you can restore the backup. but with the above you can restore from a boot disc

Henmin 00:23 22 Dec 2004

Hi Jeffers22,

I have Norton Ghost 2003. On my computer I have Norton Internet Security 2005 which doesn't have Norton Ghost 2005.

Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image - which of these is better?

Thanks

Henmin

woodchip 00:25 22 Dec 2004

Not much in it

pj123 10:52 22 Dec 2004

You could also find that xxcopy (free) from click here for Windows 98x or xxclone (free) from click here for Windows XP may work.

I haven't tried them on an external drive but I do use them on internal drives and disconnect them when the backup is finished. All I have to do if anything goes wrong is reconnect as master and reboot.

prince midas 12:24 22 Dec 2004

Have used all the versions of Ghost & up to Ghost buying out Drive Image I would say that Drive image was 3 times faster than ghost.
Now that Drive Image is owned by Symantec you will find Ghost 9 is fast as it should be. But remember you must make a CD boot disk or you cannot restore.

Henmin 16:18 22 Dec 2004

Hi All,

I forgot to mention I have Windows 98SE. Is it true that it's quite difficult backingup a complete 'C' drive to an External Hard Drive? Would it be better installing another Internal Hard Drive for Backup? Please comment.

Henmin

woodchip 16:52 22 Dec 2004

You can backup to a partition then copy to external for sfe keeping to restore you will have to coppy the Image back to drive to restore from as In my 98 it does not see the drive with old version od Drive Image or acronis

Henmin 18:41 22 Dec 2004

Thanks everyone. Your comments are much appreciated.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YOU GREAT FOLKS IN THE HELPROOM FORUM.

WHAT WOULD SO MANY OF US DO WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM AND UNSELFISH HELP!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I'VE RECEIVED IN 2004!!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Henmin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts