Backup advise needed

chrissy7 18:16 12 Dec 2004

I have purchased an External 80gb HD unit (USB) I have intalled it (Win XP sp2) and its labeled itself Drive H. I want to backup my entire system onto it. Internal HD labeled C. Do I backup 'drive C' or 'My Computer. I will be using Nero 6 backup software, it asks if I want to compress ?........ Drive C has total usage of 36gb. Any advice welcome. I am a home user with reasonable knowledge. (but obviously not enough!! )

Diodorus Siculus 20:49 12 Dec 2004

click here for an excellent guide; I think that you will be best using an imaging software such as Norton Ghost - click here

chrissy7 18:07 13 Dec 2004

Seems this is the software I need for making backups.....But have read some dodgy reviews about it. Anbody got any comments , or suggestions on other software for backing up.

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 13 Dec 2004

Cobian Backup 6
click here

Peter 18:30 13 Dec 2004

I use an old version of Ghost (Ver.5.1) to do a complete backup my Windows 95 system, with just 2 Gig of data, on a weekly basis. I backup to a second internal hard drive and then copy the image to a removable Castlewood Orb disk for security. I realise this is very small compared to your backup, but yours should compress down to about an 18 to 20 Gig image and should not take too long as your system is likely to be much faster than mine.

My backup has saved my butt on seceral occasions and has made the installation of software safe. When, not if, things go wrong I just overwrite the problem C: Drive partition with the backup image that I took just previous to the software installation.

Backups are a complete waste of time until you need one and then they are priceless.

Diodorus Siculus's link to click here is well woth looking into.

It might be worth investigating partitioning your main hard drive and putting your own data (documents, photos, video, music, etc.) onto a separate partition to make backing up a bit easier.

Peter.

Peter 18:33 13 Dec 2004

PS - Acronis PartitionExpert Personal 2003 has been available free on a cover-mount CD recently (a rival magazine) and is well liked but some forum members.

Peter.

Peter 18:35 13 Dec 2004

PS - Acronis PartitionExpert Personal 2003 has been available free on a cover-mount CD recently (a rival magazine) and is well liked but some forum members.

Peter.

Peter 18:36 13 Dec 2004

Peter.

chrissy7 18:36 13 Dec 2004

Thanks Diodrus, I have just downloaded your reccomendation. Looks like it will do what I want. I'll try it over the next few days. If I still have problems I will Re-Post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?