Backing up - back up or copy

Housten 17:38 08 Jan 2018

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I am between two people that have differing views on this. I have been using Macrium Reflect version 7 but a friend whom I know and trust says that if I use copy that it is as good. I do not want to argue with him but since I started playing with computers [ since 1983 ] I have always understood that whilst copy was OK if you wanted to copy files or programmes it was acceptable. But if I want to copy my 'C' drive to enable me to restore Windows copy was NOT good enough because it would not include everything necessary to get Windows back up and running again. My operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit with SP1. I do not know or want Windows 10 whose copy might well do everything that needs to be done, but what I would like to know if my version of copy is good enough to get everything necessary for a proper restore.

I will be grateful for any and all replies and thank everyone in advance for taking time and trouble to reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 08 Jan 2018

If you want to restore the operating system then you need to either image or clone the whole operating system partition, using something like Macrium.

If you just want to backup data file music pictures etc. then you can just copy them to another drive.

Housten 15:40 09 Jan 2018

Good Afternoon, Fruit Bat /\0/\, Many, many thanks for your confirmation of what I have been thinking for many years. As I said I use Macrium and will continue to do so.

The reason I have not replied until now is that I ticked the email box to let me know, and I have not received any emails. I was just checking in to see if I had had a reply. I am extremely grateful.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?