Background Programme - ? Virus?

[DELETED] 21:56 18 Aug 2003

I run Windows 98SE with MS Office and a number of other applications. I have recently found that while typing in Word or using any application the active window header greys and my typing is stopped (it has happened 3 times while I have been typing this!). On clicking in the window again I can resume but this happens every 10-20 seconds. I run the AVG 6.0 anti-virus and update it every week. It has not shown anything. I have tried running msconfig and unselecting all those programmes on the startup tab which I do not seem to need - no change. I have found one programme called "starter.exe", which appears to be in the WINNINT file on the J drive (I have win2K Pro on it but seldom use it)and have deselected this file twice but it always comes back as selected.
Do I have a virus or some other programme which is interfering with my normal programmes?

[DELETED] 21:58 18 Aug 2003

When you notice that your curretn window has "greyed out" hit Alt and Tabs this will show what is taking over.

Sort of

[DELETED] 22:13 18 Aug 2003

Do you have Ensonic mixer? Maybe this page will help. click here

[DELETED] 09:30 19 Aug 2003
  [DELETED] 11:06 10 Dec 2003

I have tried the suggestions above, but it still happens. Any other ideas?

[DELETED] 19:24 10 Dec 2003

1.how much memory has your machine got ? have you tried running disc clean up , empty your temp folders etc ? run defrag etc.

2.If you have either ENSONIQ or CREATIVE audio cards , this is a good chance where your starter.exe comes from as suggested by Peverelli , have a look click here for info on disabling.

[DELETED] 23:05 10 Dec 2003

Just to be sure: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

42 Tips for How to Make Digital Artworks That Look Hand-made

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)