Back up - how

Daisy22 19:01 08 Feb 2006

Is there an easy and free way to back up the entire system? I have windows XP but the back up facility doesn't seem to be installed, the programme was already on the machine when I bought it.

I do backups weekly of working documents, but just in case there is a problem, I have other programmes installed that I wouldn't like to lose.

Graham ® 19:07 08 Feb 2006

'Fraid not. Ideally, you will need a USB hard drive and something like Norton Ghost. A slave hard drive would be a cheaper alternative to an external drive.

VoG II 19:14 08 Feb 2006
  Hertz Van Rentyl 21:31 08 Feb 2006

You can get a copy of True image v 8.0 from Amazon for about £16 delivered now that there is a newer version available. You could create a partition on your installed drive using the Secure Zone function and create an image of your main drive. Although as Graham ® says it would be better to purchase a USB drive or have a separate internal drive for these operations because a drive failure would wipe out both the original and backups in one go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts