Ayone heard of vitalregistration.com

John B 09:59 28 Jun 2003

After visiting a local cycle shop website (richardsbikes.com)my computer displayed a message from vitalregistration.com telling me that my ISP (whsmithnet2) had gone bust and I would no longer be able to send or receive Emails or look at any other web page until I registered with them by clicking on a button on the page.

I chose not to do this, but restarting the computer resulted in the same page being displayed. After clearing the history and deleting all cookies the problem has gone away.

My firewall tells me I was attacked twice.

Is it likely the cycle website was responsible for this episode? Or should I have signed up?

Cheers

John

John B 10:24 28 Jun 2003

I feel a bit stupid now! thanks very much indeed.

John

Forum Editor 10:28 28 Jun 2003

and puzzling.

My first reaction to this was that it was a scam - such messages often are. On checking with whsmithnet however I find that they are no longer accepting new registrations, so the plot thickens.

I put a call into the WHSmith press office, who tell me that they don't know whether the information is correct or not, which is a tad worrying ........they're calling me back, so watch this space.

Legolas 10:33 28 Jun 2003

It seems to explain it here click here

Forum Editor 10:35 28 Jun 2003

I spotted it a moment after my post, and in fact the smithnet press office have just confirmed that all is well - it's Affinity Internet Ltd who provided the whsmithnet service, and they ceased trading in April. Hence the confusion.

John B 14:57 28 Jun 2003

Thanks for all the responses. I followed the instructions and downloaded the software but I really didn't like the window and desktop icon; and the need to get on line by having to enter a password linked to my email address was also less than satisfactory, so I follwed tenner's link and signed up with Firenet on an 0845 number; seems ideal!

Thanks again

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)