AVG Update. Access forbidden by server

  Awestruck 21:46 10 Jul 2009

A client of mine cannot update his AVG free because an error message states "Update failed . Access forbidden by server".
I uninstalled AVG and installed a later version but the error persisted.

The AVG forum provided a repair file called rmagent_en.exe but this did not cure the problem.

Deatils are Windows XP home and IE7.

Has anyone of you helpful chaps an explanation for this odd error message, or better still, a cure for the update problem?

Searching the internet seems to point only to the rmagent solution which is a waste of time.


  Technotiger 21:59 10 Jul 2009

A long-shot, but get him to check his Firewall, may need to allow exception.

Or, if this is something new/recent, try a System Restore back to when the updates worked OK.

  Technotiger 22:03 10 Jul 2009

Or try one, or all the above, again in Safe Mode.

  Sea Urchin 22:39 10 Jul 2009

Re: AVG 8.5 Free Edition updation problem: Receiving error "connection with update server has failed"
Posted by: avgfan56 (IP Logged)
Date: May 1, 2009 03:21PM

I was fighting with this same problem since upgrading to AVG 8.5 a couple of weeks ago on my Win XP machine. I could not do updates on any of my anti-virus, spy, ad, or malware. I also found out that I could not run regedit, msconfig, or a console window. After searching the net high and low for help, I finally found bleepingcomputers.com and they had the solution in one of their posts regarding the failure of regedit to run. Here's the link that fixed my update issues:

[click here]

The key info was in the Apr 22 2009, 10:35 AM and Apr 23 2009, 02:21 AM posts from farbar. To get regedit to run, I had to go to the C:\Windows folder and rename regedit.exe to copy.exe. I then double-clicked copy.exe and the registry editor opens. In the left pane, I navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

I highlight the Drivers32 sub-key. In the right pane under Name there is a value named aux. I looked at the entry for aux and saw that it was not set to wdmaud.drv as required, but in my case was set to ceito.nly. (This could be anything depending on the virus that caused the problem.) I right clicked the aux entry and selected Modify and typed in the Value Data box: wdmaud.drv. I clicked OK and close the registry. After rebooting, I delete the file: C:\WINDOWS\ceito.nly and I found that the reboot had restored the regedit.exe file to its proper location, so I simply deleted the copy.exe I had created.

Regedit, msconfig, and the console window now all work as do all my anti-malware updates including AVG 8.5.

  birdface 09:30 11 Jul 2009

Maybe try this.

click here

  Awestruck 19:12 11 Jul 2009

He has no regedit problem so I will try the link provided by buteman. However, I can't do this for two weeks as my client is not available till then. I will let you know how I get on.

  Sea Urchin 19:37 11 Jul 2009

The link from buteman removes AVG altogether, and then would need a reinstall. My previous post was concerning a virus in the registry - hopefully your client doesn't have that problem.

  Awestruck 20:22 11 Jul 2009

Thank you sea urchin. I have no problem with reinstalling AVG 8.5 after removing every trace of AVG 8.0. I am hoping that the thorough removle promised on the AVG link will also remove the corrupt registry entry. In between removing and reinstalling I will also run ccleaner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique