AVG Slow Updates

PhiltheFragger 07:49 07 Mar 2004

Have been running AVG for a while on a P4 2.4 system with broadband with out any problems.

But in the past 2 weeks, have found that the updates are very slow to connect often timing out.

has anybody else noticed a problem or is te me?

Stuartli 08:13 07 Mar 2004
  badgery 08:14 07 Mar 2004

There has been a lot of suffering lately, site very busy. A number of references in the last weeks postings!!

weedode 08:15 07 Mar 2004

In the last couple of weeks there have been numerous updates ( had 3 in 1 day )and th AVG sites have been so busy with people trying to update at the same time - its not you or you setup.

PhiltheFragger 08:22 07 Mar 2004

Is this part of a dastardly plan to make us buy the "proper" avg or is it just an unforseen temporary problem.

IE is it a cock up or conspiracy?

Stuartli 08:38 07 Mar 2004

If you provide the world with a very effective product and, at the same time, serve it up completely free of charge, it's hardly surprising that when the updates come along it may take a few attempts to download them...:-)

Most people are aware of the ever rising threat of viruses, Trojans etc and want to protect their systems as of yesterday.....

Bagsey 08:40 07 Mar 2004

I would say that we, on this forum have told to many people how good AVG is. Now we are suffering from all of those people flooding the AVG server.

Bagsey 08:40 07 Mar 2004

I would say that we, on this forum have told to many people how good AVG is. Now we are suffering from all of those people flooding the AVG server.

palinka 10:55 07 Mar 2004

But you can get the updates by going to grisoft's web site and downlaod from there. Takes a little longer than the "normal" method, but saves time in the long run.

SANTOS7 12:34 07 Mar 2004

running broadband connection and in last few days cannot get any updates at all

PhiltheFragger 12:36 07 Mar 2004

Ok Guys

Obviously AVG are a victim of their own success, but that in turn opens the debate further.

it is safe to say that if AVG do nothing, the problem will get worse.

An answer would be for AVG to increase its server capacity. However, this will cost money.

Are AVG willing to spend poss big bucks on a free program?

all the economists out there will have heard of the doctrine of "Diminishing Marginal Utility" which amongst other things, suggests the introduction of charges to avoid queueing.

This is a classic example and I feel that it is only a matter of time before AVG start charging for their product.

Dont get me wrong, I would be happy to pay a nominal fee as I feel it is a good program, but there is no denying that it has reached a critical point in its development and roll out.

Comments?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?