AVG ?

misog 09:19 12 Aug 2003

Is it just me or does AVG take twice as long to run a complete test. It seems to take a long time testing Restore files

Jester2K II 09:22 12 Aug 2003

"Is it just me or does AVG take twice as long to run a complete test" - twice as long as what??

"It seems to take a long time testing Restore files" these are compressed files and need to be unpacked. Also there are a lot of them and some are huge. Turn off Test All Extensions if you want to, under Complete Test Settings on the Service menu.

misog 18:04 14 Aug 2003

The files that AVG is testing are c\-restore\temp\a016******.cpy. Either these files have recently appeared or AVG has started testing them. It does mean that a AVG test now takes 25 mins instead of 6

jakedawe 18:12 14 Aug 2003

I just ran an AVG scan this morning, It took 52 minutes. However it did find a Trojan dialler that neither AdAware or Spybot found.

Jester2K II 18:56 14 Aug 2003

misog - its scanning your System Restore directory.

read my post above to stop this.

misog 20:18 14 Aug 2003

Unticking everything in Complete Test Settings has no effect. I am just curious .It seems that it is not possible to alter test settings any more. Lets wait and see if a free version of 7 turns up. 7 of 9 !!!!

Ironman556 20:45 14 Aug 2003

If you're comparing AVG 6 to AVG 7 then it probably is slower. It takes me between 25 and 45 mins depending what I'm doing on the PC.

Have you installed much recently? It also has more to scan as you install more.

Jester2K II 20:46 14 Aug 2003

You didn't answer my original question...

"Is it just me or does AVG take twice as long to run a complete test" - twice as long as what??

misog 20:56 14 Aug 2003

To be more precise a complete test used to take about 6 mins to run. It now takes 23 mins to run.

Ironman556 22:12 14 Aug 2003

I think What Jester2K II means is: before and after what? If you tell us what has changed maybe we can be more helpful.

ie. Did it take 6 mins when you put AVG, the Windows install was new and you hadn't got much other software on?

Have you changed the options to do a more throuogh scan?

Do you leave CD's in the drives when scanning, it'll take time to scan those if AVG is set to when you run the scan.

misog 22:20 14 Aug 2003

I suspect since then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?