Avast makes things slow

flimbo 17:23 23 Apr 2005

I recently uninstalled Norton 2004 and plumped for Avast. Was running that for about a week and things seemed slow - opening windows and general surfing. Decided to get rid of that and go for AVG free. Excellent - everythings speeded up again!
What was the problem?

Forum Editor 17:30 23 Apr 2005

I have also been using Avast for a while, and although I'm extremely impressed with its efficiency there have been occasions when I wondered if my machine was running at full speed.

I think I'll follow your example, and revert to AVG - to see what happens.

flimbo 17:34 23 Apr 2005

Yep, thats exactly what I thought. Been running AVG for ages on my other PC no problems whatsoever. Thought I'd give Avast a try out but like youm wasn't convinced everything was running properly. Am now a happy puppy with AVG again :o)

Belatucadrus 17:58 23 Apr 2005

Right click the toolbar icon and select "on access protection control" then select Standard Shield / Customise / Scanner [Basic]tab and untick "Scan executed programs"

Border Collie 20:02 23 Apr 2005

I didn't realise mine was running slower than it should until I followed Belatucadrus's advise.

Border Collie 20:02 23 Apr 2005

I didn't realise mine was running slower than it should until I followed Belatucadrus's advise.

Buchan 35 20:50 23 Apr 2005

Thanks for the fix.
Border Collie you`re twitching!! :-))

woodchip 21:12 23 Apr 2005

I an on the latest Avast and no Problems at all. This is the computer XP I use for Video Editing

woodchip 21:12 23 Apr 2005

I am on the latest Avast and no Problems at all. This is the computer XP I use for Video Editing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?