Avast Free Upgrade Caused Problems

thumbscrew 13:46 24 Nov 2014

Anyone else using Avast Free experience problems after today's upgrade? My computer running slow after the install.

spuds 13:55 24 Nov 2014

Just had notification of update, and so far no noticeable effects.

Perhaps worth having a clean-up, and see whether that improves the situation!.

tullie 14:31 24 Nov 2014

No problem here

john bunyan 15:18 24 Nov 2014

I had a big problem yesterday - screen froze and no taskbar icons would respond. Coincided with a failed attempt at a system restore for other reasons. had to restart a number of times - eventually seemed to settle down. ( Free Avast with W7)

john bunyan 15:22 24 Nov 2014

thumbscrew

PS My Avast Version : 2015.10.0.2208 - is that yours?

thumbscrew 17:06 24 Nov 2014

Y Thank you spuds, tullie and john bunyan and yes john, I'm the same version as you. I'm just about to System Restore.

john bunyan 17:14 24 Nov 2014

My restore was not for Avast! If it works I would leave it. Just did a full system scan - all working

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 24 Nov 2014

Updated to latest program and definitions, done a full virus scan while also editing/ converting some video. No sign of slow down at all.

thumbscrew 17:32 24 Nov 2014

Ok, maybe I'll give it a day....thanks too Fruit Bat.

Peter 00:29 25 Nov 2014

thumscrew,

I mentioned this problem in a recent post on this Helproom.

Avast 2015 Free Version Update

*"For those using Avast Anti-Virus, free or paid for, please take care if updating the programme (not the virus definitions). There have been occurrences of high CPU usage (100%!) after a recent programme update. See the link below to the Avast Forum for more information."*

Avast 2015 Programme Update - High CPU Usage Problem.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and even unloading Avast completely and reinstalling a later version does not cure my problem. Perhaps a system restore will solve the problem, if not a Image restore may be necessary. There does not appear to be much progress on this problem from the Avast Forum. Peter.

thumbscrew 10:46 25 Nov 2014

Thank you Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs