Avast 5

the hick 10:32 24 Apr 2010

I have recently downloaded latest Avast to PC. However, it seems to have affected it somewhat, internet connections have slowed down, and seems a bit 'jerky' in navigating through them. Broadband speed test is same as it was. Is there a known problem with this please, or sould I look for other causes? The old Avast gave no problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 24 Apr 2010

Yes Avast 5 has been giving some problems.
I've stayed with 4.5 until they have sorted it.

provider 2 10:44 24 Apr 2010

I`ve found no such slowing at all on my system.

However, I know that some users have. This may be worth a read to get to the root of the problem: click here (Avast forum)

the hick 10:46 24 Apr 2010

Fruit Bat, thankyou for rapid response. Can I just un-install 5 and instal 4.5 from Filehippo, or is there more to it than that? I have never 'gone back' from a current application. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 24 Apr 2010

Can I just un-install 5 and instal 4.5 from Filehippo, or is there more to it than that?

Yes but better to use the Avast removal tool click here

woodchip 13:22 24 Apr 2010

I use Avast 5 with no problems on a Netbook and Laptop no problems. You should uninstall Old Avast before loading 5

Ventad 14:19 24 Apr 2010

Thanks for that I did not realise that it was AVAST 5 causing IE8 to stick for about 30 secs after opening on different pages, back to 4.8 and no more problems.

Ventad 15:05 24 Apr 2010

Spoke too soon started sticking again after 45 mins, just deleted google search bar incase it is that

john 52 19:34 24 Apr 2010

I had problems with Avast !! I now use MSE as recommended and it seems to do a good job without using to much system resources !

rdave13 19:44 24 Apr 2010

MSE I'm running on laptop, Avast 5, as well, as I dual boot. When Avast complains about a web page, I take note and then reboot to XP.
MSE has no idea about an infection on a web site.
About as effective as Windows Defender was.
Only in my humble opinion.

john 52 21:22 24 Apr 2010

Thanks rdave13 for your comments I will take them on-board .

I understood that the reviews of Microsoft security Essentials were very positive and had been recommended on this site by many posters but time will tell

I agree with your comments about Windows Defender

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts