Autorun.inf

badgermansix 23:16 14 Aug 2004

WinXP HE.

I have just been looking at M/S Knowledge Base Article 314855.

My CD-Rom will not run automatically (it used to)when any type of disk is installed, despite reading quite a lot of info, and other M/S K.B. Articles, and following the advice given.

Does this article refer to a "Autorun.inf" file that should be on a CD, or should I have a "Autorun.inf" file somewhere within my PC?

I have done a search for this but cannot find anything.
TIA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:22 14 Aug 2004

Autorun.inf is usually on the CD.

You call tell XP to autorun removable drives by asscotiating the files.

My computer click CD drive select proteries - autoplay tab and select an action to perform for each type of file.

badgermansix 23:51 14 Aug 2004

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\.
I have already attempted this, but without success, I have also checked everything within the registry (I think), and followed M/S K.B. articles 126025, 314098, 330135, and 314855. The drives concerned were o.k. unil I removed Nero5 OEM and then reinstalled it.

I have removed Nero5 altogether now but still no joy.
I am sure that it has left something within the registry or something, but I have used Regscrub, and RegMechanic without any luck.
the Autorun is a minor detail really, but I would like to get to the bottom of this problem.

powerless 23:55 14 Aug 2004
  woodchip 00:01 15 Aug 2004

You could try, put you windows disc in comp not a restore disc. then from Start/Run type SFC /SCANNOW

badgermansix 19:59 15 Aug 2004

This is what I have just done.

I went to device manager and uninstalled both DVD/Rom (D drive) and CD/R R/W (E drive).
Switched off.
I then removed both IDE cables from the mother board.
Switched on and used RegMechanic and RegScrubXP, checked that both drives had been removed.
Switched off and replaced the CDR/RW (E drive)IDE cable to the motherboard, and rebooted again.

The Autorun on "E Drive" is now working as it should.
I am now going to make a Restore point, switch off and reconnect the IDE cable for "D drive" to the Motherboard.

I have put this in before I forget what I have done :-) any thoughts on this please?

badgermansix 06:33 19 Aug 2004

When I uninstall the cd/rom, and reboot, the PC finds new hardware i.e. the drive, and the drive works o.k. with autorun.
But when I reboot again, I am back to square one, the Autodrive will not run, any ideas why please?
I have tried Auto-Fix, but I still get the same result, problem which it cannot fix!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?