Automatically logging into Windows 10 - IMPOSSIBLE

CerebralFreeze 04:49 08 Jan 2017

Hi, everyone. I've been searching this forum and others for this answer for actually quite a bit and I can't seem to find anything for something so simple a request. The threads I've read seem to suggest that there is no solution besides paid software.

Here is the problem. I have antivirus and antimalware software. And it comes with autoscans that you can set daily. I want mine to go off at night around 3 am since I'd rather not having scans going off while I'm using the computer during the day.

Through this forum, I was able to learn how to wake up my computer at a certain time. (This took a long time to research in itself!) But after the computer wakes up, you need to log into Windows. How do you guys get over this hurdle if you are not there?

First, is it possible to have your computer locked but still have the antivirus still running its scans? (I'm assuming no.)

Second, if not, I'll accept the security issue of the automatic login and risk it. But is there a way to get the windows to automatically login without getting disabling the Windows login feature?

Is there a solution for such a simple problem?!

I will give you my second born!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:07 08 Jan 2017

Auto log in

Right click Start - Run -type netplwiz - press enter

User Accounts box opens - select your user account and uncheck the option Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

Automatically sign in box - type your password and then re-enter the password to confirm. Click OK

Forum Editor 11:24 08 Jan 2017

"I have antivirus and antimalware software. And it comes with autoscans that you can set daily. I want mine to go off at night around 3 am since I'd rather not having scans going off while I'm using the computer during the day."

We are all perfectly entitled to our preferences, but I just wondered if you realise that it is not really necessary to scan your computer on a daily basis?

A decent anti-virus application will stop a virus at the threshold, and pop up an advisory message, so you know that a virus has been detected.

I work on the internet a great deal - it's my main occupation - and I run an anti-virus scan on all my computers once a month; ditto anti-malware scans. I set the scans running when I know I have a meeting and I go out, leaving the computers to get on with it.

I cannot remember the last time any of my machine scans turned up anything - it certainly hasn't happened in the last ten years. There's a lot of fear about virus infections, but for most people a computer virus encounter is an extremely rare occurrence.

I never leave computers turned on at night - there's no need for it unless you're running a remote-access situation.

BT 11:36 08 Jan 2017

There's a lot of fear about virus infections, but for most people a computer virus encounter is an extremely rare occurrence.

A friend bought his 13 year old son a laptop for Xmas and within an hour he'd managed to get it infected with a nasty virus. My son got the job of sorting it out.

BT 11:38 08 Jan 2017

I never leave computers turned on at night

Same here. Computers and router turned off overnight.

Secret-Squirrel 11:41 08 Jan 2017

......... but I just wondered if you realise that it is not really necessary to scan your computer on a daily basis?...............A decent anti-virus application will stop a virus at the threshold........

I'll second that Ed.

It's only the initial scan that's really important. Thereafter the AV software's "real-time protection" will kick in if a threat tries to sneak into the computer.

Running scans daily is way over the top.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:47 08 Jan 2017

Can't remember when I last did a full scan with my antivirus. Every now and then It will block a site if I've been redirected by a dodgy link.

I do a malware / adware scan if I've downloaded and installed something as a lot of crap comes packaged with software downloads, something recently install ask.com which I didn't ask for or find in the custom install.

Burn-it 16:39 08 Jan 2017

I rather suspect the"son" was deliberately accessing dodgey sites. A lot of games "suggest" you turn off antivirus to get e better experience. I have been using the internet since Its invention and I have only once had a warning about a virus, and only once actually got one that managed to slip past AV software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?