Audigy 2 - yay? nay?

Bailey08787 16:15 31 Jan 2003

I like games and used to enjoy playing them.

Now my girlfriend has moved in and I am no longer allowed to have fun.

However, I am allowed to listen to my big collection of mp3's (as long as she can download the cheeky girls for herself).

I am currently getting my sound through my motherboard - which is hooked up to my hi-fi. As far as I can tell I get pretty good sound, and am quite happy with it. It goes loud, sounds good, general happiness.

However, I keep on getting the urge to splash out £88 on an Audigy 2 (that urge has resurfaced today, today being pay-day).

I'm just wondering if it's worth it, considering it's primary use will be for mp3's (and not really needed for all those atmospheric noises that games can now produce)

So thank you for your opinions in advance

alilee2002 16:29 31 Jan 2003

If the only thing you listen too is MP3 then its probably not worth it.

If u wanna play games, watch DVD's etc i would recomend the audigy or audigy 2 especially with 5.1 surround sound speakers.

One advantage for ur mp3 is the fact u can listen with surround sound and a subwoofer making ur mp3 much more enjoyable.. in the end its up to you.

Ali

Newuser378 16:31 31 Jan 2003

I have just upgraded to the entry level basic audigy 2 card it is excellent, after you have installed it go to the creative web site and install the new drivers for it, it will automatically download and replace your original audigy 2 driver that came with the card.
dh

Bailey08787 16:42 31 Jan 2003

mm, i only have sound comming out of my 2 hi-fi speakers - so i guess that limits my surround sound capabilities.

maybe the new hercules fortissimo would be a more appropriate option

additional Q - do these sound cards come with any bundled software?

thanks

Bailey08787 16:42 31 Jan 2003

mm, i only have sound comming out of my 2 hi-fi speakers - so i guess that limits my surround sound capabilities.

maybe the new hercules fortissimo would be a more appropriate option

additional Q - do these sound cards come with any bundled software?

thanks

powerless 07:47 01 Feb 2003

Comes with two games...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)