ATX Power Connection Problem

Sorted 13:17 13 Mar 2005

I am attempting to put a new system together and have encountered a problem. I am using an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard + Tagan 480W power supply - the board has connections for 20 pin ATXpwr and 4 pin ATX12v power - the manual says to connect both otherwise there may not be sufficient power provided to the CPU. The problem/confusion is that if I just connect the 20pin connector the system powers on okay i.e. motherboard light comes, front case LED's light up and all fans (inc CPU) are working fine. However, if I also connect the 4 pin, the fans start to cut out and the system generally doesnt like it. I'm fairly sure I have the connections the right way round. Do you think the power supply unit may be at fault or the motherboard or that I should not worry about the 4 pin connector? At this stage I do not have hardrives or any other devices attached.

Giggle n' Bits 13:29 13 Mar 2005

So only the long 20pin power plug/molex from the PSU should be connected. The 4pin square power/molex should Not be connected.

Sorted 14:02 13 Mar 2005

Thanks for your reply-

Your reply seems to fit the answer but why do you think the manual suggests connecting both - it does say "dont forget to connect the 4 pin otherwise the system may not boot up" -
seems a bit confusing dont you think?

Cheers
Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?