"Attenuation" what is it ??????

Magik ®© 19:43 17 Jun 2005

hi, BT BB has been playing up no end,with the line dropping, while i wait for BT to get their finger out, I found this....If your BT Voyager cannot synchronise with the ADSL network (DSL light flashing on front panel), try adding attenuation...so I tried it, started with 1, which held the line up for about 5 min, then added more and so on,we are now up to 5...the more i add the longer the line holds...I have looked up "attenuation" and read reams of articles, but none the wiser.... so, in easy terms, what is it doing? or what is it?

thanks

timeteam2004 20:01 17 Jun 2005

Attenuation supresses line 'Noise' like crackling etc. An electronic noise suppressor has a U-shaped wire or other conductor passing through two stacked ferrite beads. The bead near the legs of the conductor is of high frequency impedance and the bead at the head of the U is of low frequency impedance. The legs of the U-shaped conductor are connected to an electronic circuit in which noise is to be suppressed.

g0nvs 20:03 17 Jun 2005

To me "attenuation" means to restrict an electrical signal flow, current, RF etc. Hope this may help.

Magik ®© 20:47 17 Jun 2005

thank you both, it is now a bit clearer...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?