Attache USB pen drive and win2000

dodger 08:17 31 Mar 2005

I have just aquired a 256meg PNY Attache usb drive and when I plug it into the usb port on my Compaq Evo D500 it causes the PC to reboot. As soon as I log in again it reboots ad infinitum.
I am running win2000 sp4. It works ok on another identical machine.Any ideas.

Diemmess 11:12 31 Mar 2005

You say both computers are identical? Do they both use the same USB ports and peripherals? A Broadband Modem will zap 500m.a.of power but doesn't need USB2 speed. You might be able to re-arrange what plugs in where.

I'm simply chucking ideas around hoping something will strike a chord. I have no idea whether you can remove the drivers and reload them after a reboot without hassle.

dodger 11:22 31 Mar 2005

Thanks Diemmess
The computers are both on our company network so no modems. The usb ports are not normally used and the only peripherals are a parrallel port printer.
A few weeks ago I connected my digi camera and that worked ok at the time. I don't have any other usb gear I can try in the ports. I don't have my digi camera with me.
Dodger

Diemmess 11:31 31 Mar 2005

A pity you don't have your camera handy. I assume the pen drive is new kit and you are (like me) a mite impatient to use it. At least the drive itself works! Worth a word with the IT manager,...or is that you too!

rawprawn 11:41 31 Mar 2005

I have a Dell XP Home, and had a similar problem, it was OK when I plugged in and worked a treat, but when I unplugged it it crashed my computer. I tried for about 2 weeks to solve the problem with the help of this forum, but I gave up in the end. My camera has no problems at all. Sorry to be so pessimistic, I hope you have more luck than I did.

dodger 13:17 31 Mar 2005

Yes, its new and I am impatient to use it an it should be ok with my home pc's (I hope). I wa shoping to be able to carry my home files to work without using floppy's or cd's. I'm am responsible for IT at my location, not that I have a great deal of knowledge and no training, just experience. I do have backup at HQ.
I did find a problem with disconnecting my camera from the usb port but not on my home pc, I just pull the plug when download complete.
Any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?