"Athlon cannot be found" - then why is it listed?

TedoDude 13:58 14 May 2005

I setup a wireless network yesterday. After much tooing and froing I managed to get my router on the net. Now all my computers are connected and using the net.

I have 4 computers connected:
ATHLON
LAPTOP
SERVE
MAPA

And all of them can see each other. Every computer can access each other EXCEPT Athlon. Athlon can access any other computer, but nothing can access it.

All the other computers register Athlon as in the Fairways Wireless Network. However (with remote desktop enabled) you cannot connect to Athlon, but you can to Athlon's IP.

The internet works on Athlon, I am writing this question on it now. I am using an ADSL Modem router with DHCP enabled, fixing all the IP addresses. WPA encryption active. The "restrictanonymous" registry key is set to 0. Virus and Spyware scan clean.

Can't ping on the network - it is disabled by the router.

The unhelpful error messages when trying to connect to Athlon are: "The network path cannot be found" and "you may not have permission to view this resource." There are numerous folders set to be shared and written to across the network on athlon.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

TedoDude 14:03 14 May 2005

to add - no firewalls operating except router's internet firewall. All computers XP Pro SP2, except laptop which is XP Home SP2.

selfbuild 14:29 14 May 2005

You have checked that Athlon is part of the same workgroup?

TedoDude 14:42 14 May 2005

Yes, in order to see the computers on the network a computer can see i go to "View Workgroup Computers".

So - yes - they are all on "Fairways".

selfbuild 16:35 15 May 2005

What firewall are you using on machine Athlon?

Eric10 20:16 16 May 2005

Have you set sharing on the Athlon's hard drive? If so you could try a new share name and then try connecting to that.

TedoDude 19:38 20 May 2005

I have set it. I am currently set up for Simple File Sharing, and so cannot add another share. I have changed the name several times to no avail.

TedoDude 19:39 20 May 2005

I have set it. I am currently set up for Simple File Sharing, and so cannot add another share. I have changed the name several times to no avail.

TedoDude 19:43 20 May 2005

No firewalls active on athlon, or on the computer I am trying to connect from. Only router's internet firewall on.

Tubster 22:58 20 May 2005

Post this in the helproom, you'll get a lot more attention to your problem.

selfbuild 09:33 21 May 2005

Have you stopped or disabled any vital services in Admin Tools -> Services ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?