ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0 beeps, no start

terans 17:00 05 Mar 2019

Hello,

I have a PC with motherboard ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0 that has been working fine for a couple of years. Suddenly PC won't start, with 1 long beep and 2 short beeps to be heard repeatedly. Looked around on the web and read it might be a RAM problem. So I disconnected all peripherals, leaving only CPU and RAM. I changed its only 4GB stick with one I know works (from another PC), and also changed slot, to no avail. I have also reset bios as per manual. Still no luck.

Any ideas where to look next?

Thank you in advance for your time :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 08 Mar 2019

Do you know what BIOS your machine has? 1 long beep and 2 short beeps is a video card failure code with Award BIOS.

Try removing and refitting the graphics card.

terans 16:40 08 Mar 2019

No video card, it is onboard. I should be able to grab a PCIe video card from another PC though and plug it in, see how that goes.....

qwbos 19:45 08 Mar 2019

No memory detected. Is the other memory you've tried the same spec?

terans 19:55 08 Mar 2019

RAM is same spec, different brand. I have also tried this PC's RAM in another PC, and worked fine. So bad RAM is ruled out.

I have noticed that this motherboard has a removable 8 legged IC (possibly BIOS?) It is also readily available from ebay for a few euros.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?