Asus motherboard query

Smithick 17:07 21 Aug 2003

Hi,
I have recently purchased an 'ASUS A7N266-VM' motherboard and now found out it is quite select over which hard drives can function with it.

Does anyone know of any hard drives (20Gb+) that this motherboard can operate effectively with.

Thanks in advance

Rayuk 18:22 21 Aug 2003

You shouldnt have any problems using drives with this motherboard its not that old.
What is the problem exactly.

Smithick 18:37 21 Aug 2003

Thanks for answering

The main problem is the cost of the motherboard has left me with a little room for expansion. I can have two drives on the thicker IDE cable though this leaves me with less power cables for optical drives.

I am hesitant against buying a new Power Supply Unit, one with more power cables for drives as I have heard that this motherboard is choosie over what is used with it.
Can you please advise.

Rayuk 18:47 21 Aug 2003

You can buy splitter power cables for a couple of pounds.An example as below.PCWorld should have them or if you are lucky enough to have a local pc shop.
51/4 to 51/4 to 51/4 power splitter
click here

Rayuk 18:51 21 Aug 2003

Where did you get the idea about this board being picky with certain hard drives?

Smithick 16:59 22 Aug 2003

A family member, helping me to construct a PC, brought home a document that consisted of printouts of a discussion involving this motherboard.
We had the same problem as these other people.

Though the PC is sorted now. I would still like to upgrade the hard drive and bring in a dvd-rom drive. Thanks for the tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?