ASUS M/Board Query

Tizzle 21:29 30 Mar 2003

Anyone help/had experience with an ASUS P4 S8X m'board? I've set this board up in a friend's PC, but I can only get the HDD on the Primary IDE channel to be recognised. I've connected the optical drives onto the Primary, and they are then detected, but connecting the HDD on the secondary results in the HDD not being seen.
Both IDE channels are set to enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried another IDE cable, with no effect. We then got a replacement board from the supplier, but that has the same "fault?" on it. We've got the latest BIOS version (1002) from ASUS, and we've tried e-mailing their tech. support people, but have not had a reply.
Any ideas, etc?

Tizzle

EggandPeas 21:37 30 Mar 2003

You should find out whether you got the right jumper settings on the back of the hard disk.

If a hard disk is connected on the end of the IDE cable, then it should be set to MASTER. Alternatively, it can be set to cable select.

You can find all these settings if you know the manufacturer of the Hard Drive and the Model number. Go to the manufacturer's website - they usually give a graphical representation of what pins should be closed and opened to provide the setting you want.

Tizzle 21:44 30 Mar 2003

EggandPeas,

Thanks, the HDD is set to master - the HDD works fine on the Primary channel. In fact, anything you connect works fine on the Primary, but nothing will go on the Secondary. I know that looks like a board fault, but I can't believe we've had two board with the same fault.

Tizzle

Tizzle 21:45 30 Mar 2003

EggandPeas,

Thanks, the HDD is set to master - the HDD works fine on the Primary channel. In fact, anything you connect works fine on the Primary, but nothing will go on the Secondary. I know that looks like a board fault, but I can't believe we've had two board with the same fault.

Tizzle

EggandPeas 21:52 30 Mar 2003

Yeah, that seems weird... errm, could there be a setting in the bios that you're missing?
Something to the order of "disable secondary IDE channel".

To be honest, other than what i've suggested, i haven't a clue - especially if no other devices work on the channel :S.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?