Asus K8V-SE Deluxe and boot error new on build

Giggle n' Bits 00:52 02 Feb 2006

ok got the power on to my new build pc, this is the second pc I have built in 4 years.

Asus K8V SE Deluxe, AMD Sempron 3400 (2.0GHz) Socket 754, 2x Crucial 512MB PC3200 400mz DDR, 120GB Sata HDD no RAID.

Ok, so power on and get the following error:

No drive attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed. = Error Code 0163 Press F1 to continue. Ok so before even getting WinXP installed you have to press F1 to get that far. Bit of a pain.

Checked here at Via Arena forum VIA Arena - K8V SE Deluxe BIOS Not Installed

Also as Asus FAQ's section with somthing similar but all seems ok when checking the BIOS settings.

So what BIOS isn't installed if I can get into the bios.

Any good people out there who own this K8V SE Deluxe motherboarf and have some time to spend on sorting my problem out pleaseeeeee.

Cheers in advance.

ICF 08:17 02 Feb 2006

Look here on the Asus website click here

Can you get into the Bios if you can disable raid.Have you plugged the harddrive into the correct socket on the motherboard?

ICF 08:20 02 Feb 2006

Sorry link did not work as expected this is what it said.

Question:-
I've got an error message for K8V SE Deluxe - "No drive attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed." during boot up. What should I do?

Answer:-
You can find FastTrack controller as "Promise R20378 RAID controller" from the specification. The message reports that there is no hard drive attached on Promise controller. It is just informing you when you have not connect any hard drive on Promise controller. Hence, if you didn't connect hard drive on Promise controller, you can ignore this message.

ICF 08:45 02 Feb 2006

Look at pages 2-24 and 2-25 for where to plug in your sata drive and note page 2-25 shows the raid connections

Giggle n' Bits 15:57 02 Feb 2006

ok. I have On chip Sata Boot Rom Enabled, I have Onboard Promise Controller Enabled & that also gives me the option of RAID or Onboard IDE Operate Mode. I have tried this last one changed to IDE and still get the Error/s Unknown Bios Error Code = 0163 Press F1 to Resume.

Thing is if I have to press F1 every time I boot think this will drive me mentle. Would this go away from me getting the Win XP Home and SATA Driver installed ?

Ok, I have looked in the BIOS which is no problem to get into, the AMI Bios reads as v.08.00.09 & is dated as 11/29/04 but this doesn't seem to correspond with the Asus BIOS updates like 1008 etc. unles v.08 is 1008 ?

Can someone advise on which BIOS options should be enabled or Dissabled and should I have IDE set or Raid please.

Thank U again for you pactience and help.

ICF 18:23 02 Feb 2006

Try these bios options Advance,chipset,Onboard device and this is what I have disabled Raid option rom & Silicon image mode.

Hope this helps

ICF 18:38 02 Feb 2006
  Giggle n' Bits 20:38 02 Feb 2006

Thanks frankie for confusing me a bit.

Thanks ICF & PC Bilbo for sticking this out with me. getting a bit muddled up with the other post not relevant.

I am a little confused now because PC Bilbo is asking me to go ahead and install WinXP with the SATA Driver and feel this won't remove the error on boot. Or will it ?

ICF, what should I be reading in the link to PCPerspective forum ?

Don't want to seem thick but what is the first thing/s I should do.

Giggle n' Bits 21:41 02 Feb 2006

If I disable the On chip Sata Boot Rom I get a slightly different error. If comes up with

No Bios installed, then screen changes to
Unknown Bios Error. = Error code 0163
No Hard Disk Detected!
Press F1 to resume

I have a SATA cable and a SATA Power adapter that came with the board that is being used. The HDD is SATA not IDE

I have no control even if I go into the RAID options, the navigation is not possble in there. I can see the SATA HDD is on Channel 0 master and is recognised as a Seatgate ST.... etc.

I have not attempted to Install XP yet becase of this error. Are you saying install XP and this error will stop ?

Giggle n' Bits 22:10 02 Feb 2006

and there soloution to this problem is to ignore it. thing is Pressing the F1 key on every boot is not satisfying. Unles there is more than one reason for this problem I am having to occur.

Giggle n' Bits 22:45 02 Feb 2006

and on screen in the Right hand pane help screen tells you to navigate up down & Left to Right with the Arrow keys which doesn't work in the Raid screen. Theres no options in there appart from the Raid creation etc which is not what I want.

I am trying to update the bios now but thats been a pain in the butt. at the A:/ I am typing afudos /k8v-se.1008 and thats not being accepted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs