ASUS A8N-SLI with Maxtor HDD

[email protected] 08:38 17 Jan 2006

Is anyone running the above combo? During my trawl for information I have seen referenced the fact that these two are not really good partners! Before I invest even more on another HDD I would welcome any advice. (I am currently running a Diamond9 200G with my A7N8X and was hoping to use it with my new A8N-SLI).

[email protected] 16:11 18 Jan 2006

Hi vinnyT. Thanks for that, much obliged. The reason I asked was this: I am getting together as much info as I can before upgrading (A7N with Athlon 3000+ up to A8N with Athlon64x2) and on this forum click here
the Maxtor is not really recommended! I have a 200Gb Diamond9 in situ and because I am a bit scared of losing data during the rebuild, I decided to add another HDD to mirror as a belt and braces safety. Then when all is OK ;-), the spare HDD would make it's way to my other older PC. The Maxtor's are much cheaper here than other brands but that's not really the point as I wanted to carry on using the one I have with the new mobo . The same forum and the A8N-SLI manual recommends using 2 HDD's for optimum performance. Got any views on that?

[email protected] 17:32 18 Jan 2006

OK picklsey, thanks. I am tempted to do the upgrade with 2 x new HDD's [same size/make] for performance. Any views on that?

[email protected] 20:25 18 Jan 2006

Hi Totally-braindead. Sounds a good setup, what px unit do you use as it is still on my shopping list? I am not building for gaming but for the best I can get with flight simulator and compatibility between parts. I have a Radeon x800gto waiting to be added and I may or may not run 2 in the future so my px unit must reflect this.

[email protected] 09:14 19 Jan 2006

Totally-braindead. Thanks, it would appear from what I have read on different site's that the power unit is the one thing not to skimp on when building a rig with an A8N series mobo. At the moment it's a toss up between the 500/600w Seasonic S12. May seem a bit overkill but in the future I want to try running two HDD's on RAID (*picklsey) and a second X800GTO on PSI, so the pain in the pocket is now ;-).
Thanks everyone, that just about sorts it. Now all I have to do is wait for the remaining bits then put it all together - easy :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?