Asking for help with a defragging problem.

Housten 16:45 12 Sep 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I recently had a 128 GB SSD installed in my computer and have been wondering about defragging it. I have seen articles – well before the installation – that they should never be defragged and others that suggest it is acceptable to do so. Can any kind person tell me which way I should be going on this?

Also I have used Piriform’s Defraggler for some years as I trust their Ccleaner. I would like to know if there is a better one out there, please.

Thanks to all who reply and I can assure everyone who sends in a reply, that I will be very grateful.

john bunyan 16:52 12 Sep 2017

Do not defrag a SSD: If you have windows 10 , it should auto run a TRIM programme. In run box type defrag and it will tell you.

john bunyan 16:59 12 Sep 2017

PS Select the drive and it tells you when last optimised - if you select optimise it runs the TRIM version. Right click search box (the ring next to the windows symbol bottom left of taskbar; type defrag, select "Defrag and Optimise drives, and select the dive concerned. I nused to use 3rd part defraggers but do so no longer with the latest Windows 10.If yo do not have windows 10 , come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Adobe announces Custom Toolbars for upcoming ‘Illustrator CC 2019’

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Les drôles de questions à poser à votre assistant Google Home