Artifacts into Freeze into BSOD

stephanie 17:14 11 Jul 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to find the problem with my nearly 7year old rig, which has been running smooth up till a couple weeks ago.

So my PC started showing artifacts every now and then, eventually freezing up and on occasion BSOD. Error : VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR.

Suspecting my GPU, I started cleaning out any dust and applied new thermal paste to both CPU & GPU. Next checked for any possible malware, updated all drivers and checked for disk corruption (chkdsk&DISM&sfc commands).

Since the problem remained, and my temps seem totally fine (60°C gpu/cpu right before freeze), I formatted both disks and performed a clean Win10 install. The problem still remains. Next I turned down all my overclocks and downloaded the supposedly best driver for my specific graphics card. No change.

Now after a lot of testing I managed to narrow down when everything goes banana's. I can use my PC an entire day watching video's, browsing or working without any issues. I can even play an evening of CS:GO, let's say 3 hours, without issues. But the minute I start a game of Hearthstone (even in low settings), or 3DMark to benchmark test, everything goes apeshit. Now my guess is that nothing happens during CS:GO because it's mostly CPU based, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I have some friends saying my GPU must be fried, others saying it must be the Motherboard and others it might be the PSU. I don't have any spares laying around so if anyone could help me find the specific problem...

One thing I have noticed is that the GPU Power drops from 34% to 0% right when before a freeze. Specs : * CPU i5-4670K * GPU nVidia GTX780Ti * PSU HX 850W * RAM 16GB * SSD 120GB + HDD 2TB * 2 extra Fans + watercooled CPU

Thanks already!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 11 Jul 2019

Its usually a corrupt driver or system file but your clean install should have cured that, however it's worth running a hard drive scan to check for bad sectors

stephanie 17:43 11 Jul 2019

Succesfully scanned. No errors were found.

If there's still somehow a corrupt driver, I honestly have no clue how to narrow it down.

grumpy old man 18:18 11 Jul 2019

go to a game that will eventually freeze and if possible put it in windowed mode , next open task manager and click on performance tabs , keep both items open side by side and look for spikes in any of the graphs whist waiting for things to freeze , from what you have done you seem quite knowledgeable so the graphs might give you a clue to whats going on.

Look in reliability monitor for error reports that might give you a clue as to whats happening.

do windows memory diagnosis to eliminate faulty ram , if it says its faulty you will have to repeat the test using one ram stick at a time to find out which one is faulty.

Do you use nvidea experience program that is part of the nvidea driver download. If you do get rid of it , it is a pain in the butt , do g card updates manually and during install choose custom and untick nvisea experience.

Finally , open device manager and look if you have any yellow triangles on anything.

A lot for you to read but I hope this helps.

stephanie 21:21 11 Jul 2019
  • Screenshot of all monitors before the crash >GYAZO<
  • Screen the moment everything freezes, before BSOD >GYAZO2< (GPU Power suddenly drops to 0%, but why??)

• The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

• I didn't download the Geforce Experience, never liked it. Just the drivers.
  • Device manager was clean, all drivers up-to-date, no errors.
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 11 Jul 2019

is there a sare powr plug on the PSU you can swap with the one on the graphics card?

stephanie 20:02 16 Jul 2019

I took home a spare PSU(+cables) from work to test the same rig today, still the same result.

Screen froze less than a minute into the benchmark (Time Spy), artifacts as well.

wee eddie 20:27 16 Jul 2019

How confidant are you that your PSU is delivering a consistent voltage?

stephanie 06:00 17 Jul 2019

The spare one was fresh out of the box

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)