Are budget laptops durable?

SirArchibald 14:24 20 Jun 2018

I'm looking into buying a new computer and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. I just need one for word processing and Internet browsing, though I'll get one able to stream music and videos and to play DVDs if it's practical to do so. I'm looking into the extremely cheap laptops - mostly the ones below £250 - but based on the reviews, I get the impression that these laptops break very easily, and don't last very long. Are budget laptops usually this short-lived and unreliable? There would be no point in me buying one if I have to buy another only a couple of years later.

BT 17:28 20 Jun 2018

Depends on the Brand mostly. Make sure the one you choose has a decent sized hard drive. Some of the really cheap ones are deficient in this.

I'm using an HP Compaq I bought in Tesco about 6 years ago for well under £250. I put in an extra Memory board to increase the Ram and its been upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7

wee eddie 17:50 20 Jun 2018

DVD Drives are something of a rarety these days.

Any laptop will break if you drop it.

Cheaper models are made of thinner plastic.

Don't even think of buying one with a 32GB Hard Drive.

Think 2nd User

SirArchibald 17:55 20 Jun 2018

BT: what would you consider a decent sized hard drive?

SirArchibald 17:56 20 Jun 2018

SirArchibald 17:56 20 Jun 2018

SirArchibald 17:58 20 Jun 2018

SirArchibald 17:58 20 Jun 2018

SirArchibald 18:00 20 Jun 2018

Sorry for multiple posting, the posts didn't appear at first for some reason.

lotvic 18:48 20 Jun 2018

I get most of my stuff from morgans click here My latest is 24" AIO Dell. Refurbished Grade A. Had it for last 4 years with no problems. Came with Windows 8.1 and got free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft.

(And No, this is not SPAM)

Taff™ 14:30 21 Jun 2018

Certainly the laptops at below £350 are very low build quality in general. As has been said thinnest plastic possible that flexes when you push the palm rest down. Within the past year I have had Lenovo laptops that have needed disassembly and three have completely shattered their base stanchions for the upper cover and hinge screws whilst doing so - very poor. Took hours with Epoxy resin to repair them.

I usually head to Amazon Warehouse when buying a new laptop for someone with a clear specification in mind. Usually I can pick up a laptop with a £60-£100 saving on current retail prices for just under £350 anyway. These are generally returns from Amazon Customers but with full warranty. Three Quality levels and never had a serious problem with any of them.

As far as Hard Drive Capacity goes, unless I know the user has loads of photos, Data and Music I would say 250 or 500 GB is ample. Match that with a 1TB, £50 External Storage drive for backups and you are pretty much covered.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple