Apps slow to start

IClaudio 13:12 24 Jan 2006

Apologies if this has been covered recently.

Although my pc starts up normally, I find that I cannot start any programs for about 5-10 minutes. I double-click as usual, the hour-glass comes up as usual and the hard drive whirrs as usual - and then nothing for as long as 10 minutes. Then the program opens and behaves normally from then on. And once the first program opens, then I can start others immediately.

Naturally, my AVG is up-to-date, and I've done manual scans. Unfortunately, the Task Manager is affected in the same way, so I can't see what is happening during this initial period.

Does anyone recognize this behaviour?

IClaudio 14:17 24 Jan 2006

Thanks for the quick replies.

CLONNEN - Yes, I've been the MSCONFIG route already.

silverous - Have now downloaded Bootvis and shall report on next boot.

PsiFox - H/D defragged, disk cleaned up and spyware also run.

I have a feeling it may be to do with my new external USB Creative Sound Card (I unplugged it yesterday and thought it was just a coincidence that the pc behaved perfectly this morning. Just plugged the soundcard back in, the pc froze and on re-boot, I had the same probs with app start-up. So, off to the Creative site for new drivers!)

IClaudio 13:52 01 Feb 2006

Ah sorry, thought I had....

No, they didn't make a difference, but I discovered that one of my music apps (GigaStudio) was searching for the drivers from my previoous Creative card and was taking 5+ minutes to find that they weren't there anymore!

So, Resolved now and I shall tick accordingly, thanks for your vigilance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor View 20 review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

Best free Mac apps

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2019)