Applying validity to "illegal" copy of XP pro

Octoz 16:05 05 Oct 2006

I have inherited a dodgy copy of XP pro in a back street built computer and have received the usual warning from microsoft plus the inability to update my system.
I have the ability to buy a certificated, authentic copy of Windows XP pro upgrade but is my only recourse to install this on a separate partition or can I overlay/tweak the registry to accept the new license number.

VoG II 16:07 05 Oct 2006

You can use click here to change the product key.

De Nada 19:56 05 Oct 2006

Had the same problem,i sent microsoft the £92-00,after a couple of days i got the email from them that takes you to a site that they check the copy of windows,they email you a new key,cant quite remember but i think you have to run a program to get you up and running,then not long after they send you your windows cd,and your legal,good luck.

squillary 22:57 05 Oct 2006

I don't quite understand the original post. Are you saying the one and only copy of XP Pro put onto this machine is an illegal copy and you don't have a sticker on the machine with an original product key either?

If that's the case, I can't see how the software pointed to can fix it.

Or have I missed the point?

User-337494 23:23 05 Oct 2006

VoG linh has thE Trojan.PWS.Ras.A virus - beware of downloadig without proper antivirus software installed! (I use BitDefender!)
Best wishes,
Seachaplain

User-337494 23:30 05 Oct 2006

Bitdefender tells me that the ROCK XP has two infected files - which it deleted!

Scan path: D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\pwdump2.exe Infected Virtool.Pwdump.2.0
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\pwdump2.exe Deleted

and

D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\samdump.dll Infected Trojan.Hacktool.Pwdump.A
D:\PROGRAMS\RockXP4.exe=>(RAR Sfx o)=>pwdump2\samdump.dll Deleted

GaT7 23:50 05 Oct 2006

There's nothing wrong with either Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or RockXP - it's just the way your AV is reacting to them. From the RockXP website click here - "Unfortunatly, some Antivirus detect this tool like a Virus, but it’s not."

coubury, what you suggest about using a crack is illegal & not allowed on these forums. Haven't you read the Forums' T&C click here? G

woodchip 23:57 05 Oct 2006

Cracks are not the way to resolve the problem. Do it right then you will not have problems after

handy4x 10:31 06 Oct 2006

i think if you bought a genuine xp disc you should be able to install in the normal way and opt for a repair as this keeps your old settings
and only replaces the windows instalation

Octoz 10:36 06 Oct 2006

Many thanks to all who responded. I will work through suggested solutions and post the outcome.

Octoz 17:35 08 Oct 2006

I have tried to run both programs but receive a message that the scan has been stopped. Would NAV interfere with this process?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?