apple mac versus ms windows

conrail 19:18 03 Dec 2017

hi guys, brother in law has informed me he is treating himself to a new pc for Christmas, he is considering a mac and asked my advice, as someone who has never used a mac, I thought ask the experts who have helped me so many times over the years, according to James, mac's don't get as many viruses and the os is not changed so often, is this right? and what about files he has created with ms, can they be accessed/converted?

Govan1x 09:30 04 Dec 2017

Obviously the Mac is better but probably a lot more expensive. Maybe have to buy an external hard drive with it.

I am afraid this is me expressing my own view as I have never owned a mac as they are so expensive.

He has a computer so keep that as a spare and buy a Mac.

Jollyjohn 09:41 04 Dec 2017

Apple Macs do get viruses but not as often as Microsoft. There are free antivirus options available for the Mac.

The OS does change but it is, usually, a smoother operation to upgrade.

Migration Assistant is a feature of the Mac OS and will transfer data from a PC and is a fairly painless process.

Note Apple OS does not read NTFS natively. Most external hard drives are formatted NTFS. Options are either format it as Fat32 or add an App on the Mac to read NTFS

conrail 09:54 04 Dec 2017

thank you Govan1x & jollyjohn you have been very helpful, I will email him your comments

chub_tor 10:35 04 Dec 2017

This magazine produced an excellent comparison just a few months ago. Your friend might like to read this article

conrail 19:02 04 Dec 2017

thank you chub_tor, I have emailed the link, I appreciate your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)