AOL Free Webspace

pj123 11:34 06 Aug 2003

Has anybody successfully uploaded pages to their free webspace on AOL. If so, how did you do it?

Mango Grummit 12:32 06 Aug 2003

I don't think you can upload pages to AOL freespace. I'm fairly sure you have to build on-site using the 123 Publisher provided.

graham√ 12:37 06 Aug 2003

You can put a photo on click here

The Sack 12:46 06 Aug 2003

just use an FTP, the login settings are:

Host name:
members.aol.com

Anonymous Login

password is the full screen name of the space you are using and you have to be logged in as that name to use it.

Djohn 12:48 06 Aug 2003

Might be basic, but if only all web pages where as neat, clean and quick to load, then surfing would be a pleasure.

PS. which one is you? :o)

The Sack 12:48 06 Aug 2003

AOL Keyword: FTP

will explain it better :-)

The Sack 12:49 06 Aug 2003

Cross post, sorry :-)

I use BestFTP Explorer.

pj123 13:36 06 Aug 2003

Are you all saying that if I build a website using DreamweaverMX that I will not be able to upload it to AOL free webspace??

Djohn 13:54 06 Aug 2003

Not sure Pete, but don't think so. On-line chat will confirm though. j.

pj123 15:45 06 Aug 2003

Thanks John, will log on to AOL now and talk to them.

pj123 16:29 06 Aug 2003

To All. Now got an answer from AOL. It appears that a website built prior to uploading to the free website can work, although I was told by an AOL technician "it is not supported by AOL" and "we don't guarantee it will work". The instructions I got actually worked perfectly. This is using my own ftp "CuteFTP" and not AOL's FTP. Using AOLs FTP you have to upload each page and picture as a separate item. If using cuteftp or "they tell me" WS_FTP Pro, you can upload everything in one go. I have CuteFTP and have just tried it and it works perfectly. I am a happy bunny now apart from 2mb webspace isn't a lot. Thanks for all the support I have had. I will tick this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)