AOL braodband/BT voyager105 not initialising

Thequantumshaman 22:11 16 Aug 2005

I have a problem with my voyager ADSL modem, everything installs and works fine until i turn off my PC, when i turn back on the USB modem fails to initialise, the only way it works is by unplugging it before power on and the plugging it in after bootup, any ideas?

Head hurts 23:09 16 Aug 2005

had exactly same probs when i joined plusnet they sent a bt voyager 105 and it was difficult to keep connected and i had to unplug the modem and plug back in again to get it working it would then work for some time but occasionally just disconnect and when pc switched on first thing in morning it would require an unplug to get it working i tried all the different options given to me by plusnet support in the end i purchased a brand new speedtouch modem from ebay for around £10 and all my probs disappeared had no problems since.

Thequantumshaman 23:17 16 Aug 2005

Yeah...i'm thinking that i will have to do something similar, i have tried everything i can think of and everything that the so called online help has suggested (incidentally the same things i had already tried), they seemed to be just as boggled as me! lol They are sending me new driver software (even though i am using the version on thier site!)and i am going to keep timkering with it until i can afford a new modem!
cheers for the response, its good to know i am not on my own in this! lol

Yeah...i'm thinking that i will have to do something similar, i have tried everything i can think of and everything that the so called online help has suggested (incidentally the same things i had already tried), they seemed to be just as boggled as me! lol They are sending me new driver software (even though i am using the version on thier site!)and i am going to keep timkering with it until i can afford a new modem!
cheers for the response, its good to know i am not on my own in this! lol

bugger! sent that twice!!!lol

feb 07:28 17 Aug 2005

Hi Thequantumshaman

do you have any lights on the modem or the arrows in the system tray at startup?

Thequantumshaman 07:37 17 Aug 2005

the power light comes on on the modem but the DSL and data lights do not, the driver icon in the tray stays red and the status indicator in the driver menu says 'no device'. Like i say the only way at the moment that i can get online is to either unplug the modem whilst powered down and then just plug it in after i boot up my PC which i am sure can't be good for it! Or i can reinstall the drivers. I'm still in the process of tinkering with different aspects of my setup to see if i can find a conflict but nothing so far, i have also sent a detailed tech. complaint to the BT support centre, i'll be buggered if i am paying for the premium rate helpline so i used e-mail! lol Other than that, the modem seems fine, i have had it running for about 12 hours now and it hasn't dropped out once, it's just the startup detection thats screwed.

feb 07:57 17 Aug 2005

You need to ascertain which of the three is at fault

I would suggest trying the modem on another PC and a different cable.

Incidentally, is the modem plugged into a main USB socket not a Hub?

Gorillaz 08:02 17 Aug 2005

Might be able to help, I had the same problem and was told to install the modem using the USB port and the latest drivers only (not from the CD). Once the installation was complete I plugged in the LAN cable and everything has worked fine, no probs at all.

feb 08:07 17 Aug 2005

I imagine you've looked at the BT pages

from what you have said click here this says to me that the modem is working and ready, but click here this suggests that the software isn't detecting the modem and it looks like it might be the cable!

Thequantumshaman 08:34 17 Aug 2005

The cable is plugged into a main USB socket, i have also tried it in another socket but i do not have another PC to try out the modem on, i don't think it is the cable or else why would it work OK when i install the drivers fresh or simply plug in after i have booted up my PC? I have meticulously checked the BT lines and i am only four feet away from the main outlet, the connection doesn't drop out at all once its up and running so i don't think its a cabling issue.
Incidentally i have installed the latest drivers from the BT site itself and it still does the same thing, i have a few things left to try yet and i am waiting on a response from the BT tech. support people although i don't hold out much hope that they will say anything that i don't already know! lol
I am have just done a windows update and i have some new antivirus/spyware software to run, after that i am going to unistall it again then restart in safe mode, disable anything that's not necessary and try again....i'll let you all know how i get on!
cheers all...hope this goes well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?