AOL 1Mb connection

[DELETED] 09:26 13 Oct 2003

Hi Guys - I logged into my Primary AOL account and got a pop up advert from AOL with details of their new 1Mb DSL connection due out in November, for £39.99.

If I decide to sign up it is a 1yr time again.

Question is, would I see a significant performce improvement from my current 512K connection.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

[DELETED] 09:38 13 Oct 2003

I would imagine that you would be able to download files in half the time, johnbhoy. You don't say what the upload speed is, so I don't know if there's any improvement on your present 256k. I don't suppose ordinary webpages would load any quicker than they are at the moment for you, depends on traffic at the server end, I suppose.

[DELETED] 09:39 13 Oct 2003

My god! £39.99?

Try having a look at the Pipex website click here

They're doing a 1Mb connection for £24 per month!

[DELETED] 15:41 13 Oct 2003

I have the 512k AOL at home, 1MB with Nildram at work and a 2MB leased pipe at my other work and the only difference I notice between all 3 is the download speeds. Web pages all seem to load up at the same time. I personally wouldn't go for the aol offer, after all its hugely overpriced and you're still stuck in a 12 month contract. There are many better ISP's out there and once my contract with aol runs out in a few weeks I will be migrating to someone else.

[DELETED] 15:41 13 Oct 2003

Already tied to AOL for another 10 months (not that I am complaining). My present AOL 512K connection is very stable,unlike a few people I know who are on AOL. Was just wondering about the 1Mb service, but given wife is expecting 3rd baby, can't see me being able to justify £40 a month for my internet connection.

JohnBhoy

[DELETED] 15:56 13 Oct 2003

Hi
Where did you see this on the aol site because i have looked and cant see it anywhere?

[DELETED] 16:10 13 Oct 2003

1meg for £24, you sure?.

[DELETED] 16:10 13 Oct 2003

I have just gone with Nildram 1Mbps and cant believe it!

I have been on BT BB (512) for two years but this new speed is just plain silly - incredibly fast!

[DELETED] 16:37 15 Oct 2003

I have just upgraded to the 1mb speed. When i get it upgraded at the exchange next week i will let you know what it is like.

[DELETED] 15:30 21 Oct 2003

Smiffy99,
Is it much faster overall or just with downloading?

[DELETED] 15:59 21 Oct 2003

I think the Pipex service is really £33.99 a month; tat's still quite good though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker