Hot Topics

Anyone using Opera browser for Windows?

Gordon Freeman 11:23 19 Dec 2019
Answered

I've just been testing this browser on win 10 desktop, & wondered if anyone else had tried it at all? Seems as quick as Edge & Firefox, &, once it's set up, it seems to perform quite well in comparison.

It has a free vpn with it, & also ad-blocker incorporated, so no need for a range of add-ins. Added bonus it seems to block ads & videos on here, which is always a bonus. You can also add the likes of 'I don't like cookies' to it, like you can in Firefox (but not Edge).

As with anything, it's a case of getting used to it, but must say am quite impressed thus far.

My only gripe is I can't find a setting to delete cookies on exit, but apart from that, it's looking quite good.

alanrwood 12:42 19 Dec 2019

Been using Opera for a couple of years now as my main browser. Forget about the VPN, it is slow and gives little choice of location

Old Deuteronomy 12:50 19 Dec 2019

I've been using Opera since Opera 7.5, many years ago. I have tried others over the years, including Firefox and Chrome but, always come back to Opera as it just seems to suit me best. I do however, have Vivaldi, as a back-up for those rare occasions a website doesn't work correctly in Opera.

Gordon Freeman 13:05 19 Dec 2019

I'm finding it quite effective against ads/vids on here without the need to find ad-blockers...not seen one ad or vid thus far. I've previously been an Edge/Firefox user, along with several ad-blockers in tow, but am impressed with Opera, even though it's only day 1.

Is there a solution to auto-clearing browsing history on exit?

mikeyrh 14:12 19 Dec 2019
Answer

Hello Gordon, yes it is possible to clear cookies when you close Opera. Open Opera, go to Settings, Advanced, Privacy & Security, Site Settings, then click on Cookies & Site Data, then enable clear Cookies & Site Data when you quit Opera.

Gordon Freeman 16:10 19 Dec 2019

mikeyrh: thanks, most useful.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)