Anyone heard of Pilate (virus)

MOTIVE37 08:09 28 Jul 2004

My friends PC running W2K sp4 has just been zapped by a virus called Pilate. It has gobbled up loads of exe files, and at one point made the pc unbootable. I repaired the OS with the w2k disc and downloaded AVG and ran the scan. It had taken out over 700 files mostly exe's. Its now bootable and most of her application software will have to be reloaded. That done I'm hoping it
will be OK.
My question is can anyone had any experience of this virus, and have I done enough to keep it at bay?

Sethhaniel 09:10 28 Jul 2004

Done a search of net with no results on Pilate Virus

MOTIVE37 09:51 28 Jul 2004

bump

Tecno Dan 10:08 28 Jul 2004

Sorry MOTIVE37, did a search with symantec and found no results for Pilate.

What anti-virus program detected it and said it was Pilate? Different programs some times call them different names.

regards,

Dan

€dstowe 10:33 28 Jul 2004

The way I read the post, it seems that there was no A/V installed. Quote "I repaired the OS with the w2k disc and downloaded AVG and ran the scan."

Is this correct, MOTIVE37?

Like the others, I have searched for a virus with this name and failed to find a connection. How did you know its name and, if there was no A/V program installed, how did you find it other than realising that files were being gobbled up?

canard 13:19 29 Jul 2004

click here Has he downloaded any of these?

MOTIVE37 09:57 02 Aug 2004

Sorry to Techno Dan, Sithaniel, and Canard, I wrote it down incorrectly should have read PALITE I haven't heard of it, and have done a quick search myself, but no joy. Just to rub things in the PC also got a touch of AGABOT worm. Upshot of it all I had to back up what I could , and format the HDD, and start again. I downloaded the good freeies like AGV, Zone alarm and others, and so far so good no reprisals.

MOTIVE37 09:58 02 Aug 2004

Sorry to Techno Dan, Sithaniel, and Canard, I wrote it down incorrectly should have read PALITE I haven't heard of it, and have done a quick search myself, but no joy. Just to rub things in the PC also got a touch of AGABOT worm. Upshot of it all I had to back up what I could , and format the HDD, and start again. I downloaded the good freeies like AGV, Zone alarm and others, and so far so good no reprisals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?