Anyone got an Ebook reader

gerryp25 22:11 14 Dec 2008

HI I am considering buying one of these Ereaders possibly a Sony, has anyone any experience with this type of products? I usually take a lot of books to read on holiday which takes a lot of room, with these ereaders I can take up to 160+, bit of overkill I know but it looks a nice gadget.
Would appreciate any help
Thanks
gerryp25

keverne 23:14 14 Dec 2008

I've got one and the claims that the battery 'lasts for yonks' are wide of the mark.

That matter is nothing compared with the price of ebooks - more than the price of the printed versions that have been discounted by all the main book retailers.

Click on 'Customer reviews' click here

realist 09:35 15 Dec 2008

CNN did a review of e-book readers as to their suitability as travel-kit and the Sony was judged best (compared to an Amazon own-branded version).

However, my travelling days are long since over and I feel obliged to support our local library, such as it is, whilst we still have one.

I generally don't see the point of owning books, books electronic or othewise.

gerryp25 22:06 15 Dec 2008

Thanks everyone I think the ayes have it, will see what the price is after Christmas.
Thanks
gerryp25

gerryp25 16:01 18 Dec 2008

To all you owners , where do you get your downloads from?, looking at Waterstones site they aren't exactly generous with the discount especially considering the 3 for 2 offers these days. Can the ebooks be downloaded from anywhere else?. I was trawling through some sites can't remember which now but one of them was an American site who were selling ebooks for under $5. Are there any cheaper sites out there?
Thanks
gerryp52

gerryp25 20:50 20 Dec 2008

I notice that all the free books are out of copyright and therefore old, I was looking for new books for which payment is required. Do I have to download the new stuff from the Sony site?

keverne 21:11 20 Dec 2008

In addition to Waterstones click here there's also WH Smith

click here

gerryp25 21:23 01 Jan 2009

Another query before I get one. Am I correct in saying that the ebooks are downloaded to the computer first and then downloaded to Sony, my query is if anything goes wrong with the Sony do I still have the download on the computer or have I lost the book especially if I paid for it ?. Does anyone have any experience of the BeBook, it cost a bit more but apparently accepts more formats.
I am working in the dark here so any more help would be helpful.
My last comment is that if Gandalf has got one it must be the real deal!!
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?