Any way to "beat" Epson cartridges

montyburns 20:57 15 Aug 2004

We have a C44 printer, which when one of the cartridges is empty, refuses to print

Currently the colour is empty, but it won't even let us print in b&w.....

Can't refill the cartridges as they are "intelligent"

Is the only answer to buy a new printer? I know the old Epson's would go on until the ink really HAD run out, and you could print in b&w if the colour had gone or greyscale if the black had gone.....

Eric10 22:08 15 Aug 2004

You could try this resetting utility. click here

Legolas 22:29 15 Aug 2004

buy a colour compatable cartridge click here

Bagsey 22:36 15 Aug 2004

Checkout the cartridge price here. Is it worth messing about. 2 black & 2 colour for less than £12.00 ???
click here

Gugs 22:57 15 Aug 2004

There are several websites which sell cartridge resetters ie click here but,I agree with Bagsey, after using a resetter for some time I found that with the cost of compatibles coming down it was not worth the effort,possible ink spills and refill failures (yes you do get them)so I'm back to buying compatibles.
Regards.

Gugs 22:57 15 Aug 2004

There are several websites which sell cartridge resetters ie click here but,I agree with Bagsey, after using a resetter for some time I found that with the cost of compatibles coming down it was not worth the effort,possible ink spills and refill failures (yes you do get them)so I'm back to buying compatibles.
Regards.

montyburns 23:50 15 Aug 2004

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with the theories on resetters above, esp with regards to the cheap cartridges mentioned

However, it still rankles that I can't use a perfectly functional printer and a nearly full black cartridge because the colour one is nearly empty!

Legolas 16:23 16 Aug 2004

montyburns I agree with you, with other printers I have had when the black ran out the printer would use blue printed over twice to make black. It seems a bit much that you are not allowed to use the colours you do have just because one has ran out.

montyburns 16:51 16 Aug 2004

Legolas - just out of curiosity, are you the same Legolas as on the FPOC? (Ford Probe Owners Club)

pj123 16:53 16 Aug 2004

montyburns, yes of course it won't print. That's the way Epson printers work. I have a C44 printer and all you need to do is to buy a new set of ink cartridges from Choice Stationery at click here and replace the one that has run out. These cartridges are chipped and ready to run.

Smiler 17:00 16 Aug 2004

I use mostly genuine epson carts with occasional compatable ones. When the cart shows aa empty in the epson monitor I just remove it reset it using a resetter put it back in and usually get about 25% more printing before the cart actually doesn't print. Then I put a new cart in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?