Any idea where all my music files have gone?

stlucia2 11:30 17 Sep 2018

Whenever I buy a CD one of the first things I do is rip it in .WAV and .MP3 formats onto my hard drive. The drive is a partition of my PC's main drive, and is only used for music files, which are stored in folders according to artistes' names. I then copy the .MP3 files onto my phone for use when I travel.

A couple of days ago I went to the music drive on my PC intending to check a couple of files which were not playing right on my phone, and found that the drive contained no files. No problem, I thought, I'll restore from my Acronis backups, but all the backups of that drive are empty too. They only go back a year, so I must have been backing up an empty music drive for that long.

I then thought that maybe I'd moved them all to my phone instead of copying them, but that can't be the case because there's no .WAV files on my phone. So any thoughts please on how the complete content of a drive can be lost? I'm running up-to-date Windows 10, and all other drives and folders seem to be completely intact.

I've now copied all the music files off my phone back onto my PC, but of course they're only .MP3, and they're also in order of song title without any segregation into artiste folders. I suppose I can reorganise that quite easily by listing them in order of artiste and then creating new folders for them. The music drive is 100GB, with only 7.05GB use after I've copied the .MP3 files back.

alanrwood 11:38 17 Sep 2018

Have you tried a search in Windows explorer on "My PC" using *.wav. It should pull up and wav files anywhere on the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:58 17 Sep 2018

sounds like a glitch in the file system - don't write anything to that drive partition and try using something like REcuva to find the files.

Fitrs try using chkdisk / f on the partition and see if that brings the partition back

stlucia2 13:08 17 Sep 2018

Yes, I've tried searching for known music track names, and for *.wav. There are some .wav files found, but they're all sound effects for my RC transmitter, nothing to do with my music folders.

stlucia2 13:17 17 Sep 2018

Oh dear, I've just seen your post Fruit Bat, and I've already copied all the .MP3 files back to that drive from my phone. Anyway, I'm giving recuva a try at the moment, so we'll see how it goes. It's reporting 4546 files found even though it's only 10% way through, yet I know I only have/had 2000+ music tracks, so it's promising.

stlucia2 19:28 17 Sep 2018

Despite reporting 4546 files found during scanning, recuva reported zero files found when it had finished.

Anyway, I've got all my .MP3 files, and I've still got the original CDs, so it's just a bit of an inconvenience rather than a catastrophe.

john bunyan 19:48 17 Sep 2018

See

convert to .wav

Windows lets you convert from mp3 to .wav

MJS WARLORD 21:02 17 Sep 2018

have you tried using the search box to locate the music. eg if I type gen in search box is does predictive text searches for all my genesis album tracks

stlucia2 08:26 18 Sep 2018

Believe me, I don't have any Genesis tracks ;-) But, yes, I have used search for known track names as well as for .WAV files.

John Bunyan, is conversion from .MP3 to .WAV any good? What I mean is, .WAV is supposed to be an uncompressed file form, so can it really be recreated from an .MP3 file which has been compressed by eliminating a lot of the 'useless' data? I understand it can be converted into .WAV format, but it will have lost a lot of data in the process so surely won't be the same as a .WAV file that's created from scratch.

john bunyan 13:27 18 Sep 2018

stlucia2

Yes , agreed the ideal is to rip from scratch in .wav. However if the .mp3 files are at a good size, at least a conversion to . Wav would freeze any deterioration. In my “dotage “ and using my PC with quite good speakers I can scarcely tell the difference. In my youth one had things like Shure SME cartridge, hi fi turntables, Quad valve amps, huge speakers with tweeters etc. These days I am less perceptive as my hearing looses some high notes etc!

stlucia2 19:32 18 Sep 2018

I don't claim to be able to tell the difference either -- I was just curious about the process :-)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs