Any good FREE healthcheck/fixing software around?

haven't a clue 15:11 02 Dec 2004

Hi, does anybody know of any good Free diagnostic/healthcheck software that includes a free fix. I have had free diagnostic software before, but to fix it always had a cost, and as I was unsure how great a problem it might have been fixing I kept my money.
cheers guys

Technotiger 15:15 02 Dec 2004

Hi, type in DirectX9 in the address bar - then download and install. It is a full diagnostic program - free.

Technotiger 15:17 02 Dec 2004

ps: Sisoftsandra is another free one.

Jackcoms 15:23 02 Dec 2004

Not so much a health check program, but a crap cleaner which will clean out any and all unwanted/unneeded junk on your PC and probably give you some extra 'speed' as well afterwards click here
You can safely delete anything it finds.

€dstowe 15:54 02 Dec 2004

Be careful - a lot of these are just "panicware" and will alert you do problems that don't really exist or are so minor, you can forget about them.

Keep your computer up-to-date, install suitable anti-virus/anti-trojan, anti-spyware utilities and make regular system backups then use your computer for what it is intended for - to do useful things for you. Don't let it be there for its own sake demanding your time to do the unnecessary.

haven't a clue 16:01 02 Dec 2004

€dstowe - good advice, I have all the things you describe as a preventative measure, in the main because I am not qualified to fix it if it goes wrong. I'm just not too keyed up on other things I might be able to do to tidy it up, make it faster etc.

I have tried free healthcheck software before, but baulked when it came to paying to fix the 'problems' it found for the reason you state.

I was wondering if there is any freeware that will do the check AND fix anything it found.

Jackcoms 16:18 02 Dec 2004

€dstowe/haven't a clue

CCleaner is certainly NOT 'panicware'.

In fact it's probably one of the best free registry cleaners on the market and regularly recommended in these Forums.

TomJerry 16:22 02 Dec 2004

if it is not brooken, do not fix it

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:23 02 Dec 2004

Ccleaner click here;eaner.com and regseeker click here are both free and all that you will need.

G

Cook2 17:05 02 Dec 2004

click here for PCPitstop.

Your aim is for chequered flags. If you don't it will point the way.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:46 02 Dec 2004

That'll be click here Even if you computer is 'not broken' both programmes will find loads of rubbish.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?