Any disadvantage with a single memory card

olyman 10:17 28 Sep 2018

Memory always seems to be paired. My PC came with a single 8Gb card. Is there any performance disadvantage. I'm thinking of an upgrade to improve video processing. Would a matched memory card be an advantage? I was thinking of adding a budget graphics card to replace the integrated graphics. What's better doubling up the memory or improving the GPU? I suspect doing both will be the answer. It's a newish PC with an i5 7400 Kirby Lake processor.

Old Deuteronomy 10:44 28 Sep 2018

Your motherboard will almost certainly have dual-channel memory support, increasing effective bandwidth and speed, it will need 2 or 4 memory modules for this to work. As you are doing video processing, more RAM and dual channel enabled, should be beneficial.

Old Deuteronomy 10:47 28 Sep 2018

Further to the above, if you have limited budget prioritise RAM over GPU and, in any case, unless you are gaming as well don't bother with an expensive high-end GPU.

olyman 12:08 28 Sep 2018

Thanks for your prompt response which confirms what I was thinking. I can easily double up to 16 Gb as there is a spare slot. I was thinking possibly of a low end graphics card to free up memory used by the integrated graphics. I would be limited by the PSU in any case. I'm not into gaming other than some ancient flight simulators but my camera is 4k capable so I was thinking of future use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 28 Sep 2018

your cpu already has 4k support click here double up the RAM and see how it goes.

just

wee eddie 13:17 28 Sep 2018

An exactly matched Memory Stick would be the cheapest and most effective upgrade.

Upgrading Graphics Cards is an expensive game

olyman 22:47 28 Sep 2018

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to double up the memory. The limit on adding a graphics card, apart from cost, isn't the CPU but the power supply.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs