antimalware AKA windows defender) using excessive

dearboy 11:22 05 Nov 2015

I am findin using taskmanmager that windows defender AKA antimaleware is using an excessive amouynt of memory/CPU slowing everthing down drastically. I was surprised to learn that this is a well known problem, . cannot understand that microsoft (who encourages us to use this program!) has not issued a fix?? Question is , if there a simple way of correcting this ? without needing a degree in computer management!! thanks dave

Govan1x 11:31 05 Nov 2015

Yes go to Services and double click Windows defender and disable it and stop it from running.

Govan1x 11:40 05 Nov 2015

AKA antimaleware. Never heard of it like that. I take it that is Malwarebytes. Unfortunately i have had to stop that running at start up and set it to run manually as it takes up a lot of my cpu and most of my disk space. it also takes 1.5 hours to do a full scan on a computer that has got very little on it. Using w10 just now but it was the same on W8.

rdave13 12:09 05 Nov 2015

Since I had a few problems with Avast 2015 I uninstalled it and have been running Defender on Windows 10 for a while. Same as you, high CPU usage until it settles. So I'm now running Avast 2016 free from this link, click here , the download link is at the bottom of page. So far so good and my APU isn't hammered so much and the scans are faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)