Anti-Virus/Firewall?

R.C.M. 21:23 04 Apr 2006

Can someone tell me the difference between an anti-virus program and a firewall - do you need both? At the moment I have Ad-ware, AVG, CCleaner and Reg-Scrub - do I need anything else? I used to have Windows XP [home] SP2 but had problems powering down so I have removed the SP2 and went back to SP1, leaving myself without the protection of the SP2 programs.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

SG Atlantis® 21:36 04 Apr 2006

yes you need both.

anti-virus detects virus/trojans that get on your system a firewall stops things getting in or out of your system.

I use:

AVG = anti virus
Ad-aware = anti spyware
Spybot S & D = anti spyware
Zone Alarm free edition. = firewall

CCLEANER is a utility that cleans junk files out.

You should have ONE anti-virus and ONE firewall. You can have as many anti-spyware programs as your heart desires.

SG Atlantis® 21:40 04 Apr 2006

You really wanna get SP2 back on there.

Some links

click here ZA free

click here spybot

click here Javacools SpywareBlaster

R.C.M. 21:41 04 Apr 2006

Many thanks for that advice, I will have a look at Zone Alarm.

ade.h 21:43 04 Apr 2006

Kerio is better, quite frankly. The free version is very functional click here

R.C.M. 21:47 04 Apr 2006

I would like to have kept the SP2 but could not fix the power off problem. When I tried to follow some of the advice it was too technical for me and I 'crashed' my computer 3 times and had to do a re stall. I'm glad I kept my files on an external hard drive so did not loose them. I got fed up and decided to take SP2 off - do you think I should just put up with the power down problem? I did like SP2

ade.h 21:59 04 Apr 2006

You need SP2. Period.

R.C.M. 22:09 04 Apr 2006

I think I could live with the hassle of having to use the on/off switch to turn the computer off.

I could have SP2 up and running in no time, I'm just a bit 'picky' at wanting my computer to function right.

SG Atlantis® 22:11 04 Apr 2006

Start a new thread on this sp2 problem, someone will guide you through it. There are too many security holes and vulnerabilites without SP2.

ade.h 22:11 04 Apr 2006

I have my power switch set to shutdown the PC (as opposed to cutting the power or hibernating), but I prefer it that way as it's quicker than Start > Turn Off > Turn Off (again)! So I don't see it as a hassle.

SG Atlantis® 22:18 04 Apr 2006

ade.h I do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?