Anti Virus Question

Old Shep 12:42 14 Jul 2004

I run McAfee Anti Virus version 6.2 and update the dat files regularly. The latest version is 8 is there a difference or do I still get the same protection without digging in my pocket. Thanks

xania 12:58 14 Jul 2004

Norton does the same thing - every year a new version and all the pundits reckon it's not worth it. I tend to leave each version for about 2 years and upgrade alternate years. You may have to renew your subscription - typically you only get 12 months free - and sometimes renewal is almost as expensive as the update. But the overall point is to ensure that you maintain your virus library by updating as often as possible and taking action as soon as you are warned that your subscription is coming to an end.

Old Shep 15:18 14 Jul 2004

Thanks for that I did renew my subscription about 6 months ago roughly £10 for a year so I will have had it 2 years when that runs out. I keep seeing posts saying avg update available apparantly free but don't know much else about it compared to the one's you buy.

johnnyrocker 15:21 14 Jul 2004

in my opinion it is one of the best freebies one can get.

johnny.

Old Shep 15:25 14 Jul 2004

So I take it you use it,but why is it free when all others have to be bought and re-subscribed to. Is there a catch.

bert52a 18:43 14 Jul 2004

I am naturally very tight and so I always avoid paying if there's a free option.
I've used Avg for about a year and it seems to work as effectively as the various expensive ones I see at work: Sophos and Norton and one other I've forgotten.

dagwoood 18:53 14 Jul 2004

Theres no catch using the free version of AVG. I presume it's a marketing ploy to provide a free version of their software in the hope you will go on to purchase the pro version that has extra functionality and technical support.

AVG free edition is regarded on this forum as one of the best(it not THE best)anti-virus s/w available, paid or free.

As with all anti-virus s/w, it's only effective if you perform regular updates.

daz

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:03 14 Jul 2004

I have run an email alert list of over 80 AVG users for a year or so. They are all well pleased and no reports of problems. I fail to see any logical reason why a home user would pay for an AV or firewall.

G

Bagsey 19:43 14 Jul 2004

I have been trying to remember back to my first encounter with AVG. It came as a freebie 3.5 floppy I think on PC Plus magazine. I put it on my first computer to go on the internet. I guess it must be six or more years ago and in that time I let IT down once by not doing my morning check for up grades. This let in the sircam virus. but I have had no other trouble in all of that time. My friend regularly forgets his subscription up date for norton and is a regular caller on the phone for help in cleaning rubbish out of his machine. I think that record speaks for itself on the quality and effectiness of AVG.

Bagsey 19:44 14 Jul 2004

I have been trying to remember back to my first encounter with AVG. It came as a freebie 3.5 floppy I think on PC Plus magazine. I put it on my first computer to go on the internet. I guess it must be six or more years ago and in that time I let IT down once by not doing my morning check for up grades. This let in the sircam virus. but I have had no other trouble in all of that time. My friend regularly forgets his subscription up date for norton and is a regular caller on the phone for help in cleaning rubbish out of his machine. I think that record speaks for itself on the quality and effectiness of AVG.

Bagsey 19:44 14 Jul 2004

Sorry for the clicky finger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts