Hot Topics

Anti static wrist bands connection.

muddypaws 12:12 26 Apr 2016

As per header. Can I use the PC case as an earthing point with the PC switched off and unplugged? Never used one before so presumably been lucky!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 26 Apr 2016

No as the case is not connected to earth when unplugged.

I suffer from a lot of static can get quite a belt when getting out the car however I just earth myself by holding a radiator for instance before starting any electrical work.

muddypaws 13:35 26 Apr 2016

Fruit Bat /\0/\

After posting I googled it ( should have done that first) Obviously switch off and leave plug in. I am replacing my G, back up drive as it only has 6 gigs space left. Underfloor heating here so no rads. Will get strap from Amazon. As I said above never used one before when changing HDDs Thanks for input.

boyo123boyo 23:28 27 Apr 2016

Firstly, I'd like to point out that when you work on a PC you don't 'earth' yourself. If you do that, you increase the chance of a static shock. You want to be on the same electrical level as what your working on.

If working the the PC case then connect your wrist band to some metal in the case(unplugged). If working on the motherboard outside the case, then a good place to touch is the I/O covers, NEVER the actual board.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Resident Evil 3 review

Online portfolios: how to get your work out there while staying in

Apple 'to drop support for Apple Watch Series 2'

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour voitures (2020)